Q&A Damper open with Vent Free Logs?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I need some information on unvented/vent free/ventless systems. If you do not mind, could you please enlighten me on the proper positioning of the damper/flu for this type of system (unvented/vent free/ventless systems)? I would assume it depends on the state one lives in and the local laws, but could you tell me what is the proper positioning? PLEASE! Our inspector in the state of Delaware came out and looked at the system, being installed, for 3 minutes. He said he would be back; left and never came back to finish the inspection. So, the gas logs are installed, but we are not sure if they are installed correctly! Could you help us out on the flu/damper issue? The brand, I think, is a chillbuster/Rasmussen Iron Works! Thank you!!

Answer:

Vent-Frees are usually designed to be used with the damper closed completely. You can, however, use them with the damper full open if you do not need the heat at some times. This has nothing to do with local codes and is usually addressed in the owners manual

Status
Not open for further replies.