Damper Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsj425

Burning Hunk
Jul 17, 2011
North Pole Alaska
I am debating on putting in a damper or not with my install. Mainly so I can have more control over the fire in the event of a runaway/overfire so I can shut it down completely. From stove top to rain cap will only be about 14 feet straight up. However we get extreme colds here and when it is super cold every nook and cranny have super drafts and I am sure a 6 inch pipe will be the same. My main concern is cleaning can they be easily removed for cleaning .If I put one in it will be about a foot above the stove stop however I bought a sooteater and will be doing bottom up cleaning so I would imagine with the sooteater you could open the damper completely and work the head through to clean the rest of the pipe.

The responses I got in here, when asking the same question about a year ago, were all basically negative. Negative in the sense that some felt it was not necessary with these new EPA-rated (is yours one?) stoves.

In the end, I never did install one, but not because some folks in here felt it was not needed. Ultimately it was because of the cleaning and the installation issue. I didn't want to disrupt a completed installation if I didn't have to, and I didn't want to have to be concerned about not being able to clean that area of the flue pipe as well as I might like, because I had introduced an obstacle into the mix.

Lemme know how you make out if you DO put one in.........will be interesting to hear how things go!

-Soupy1957

My stove is an EPA stove. I haven't done my install yet which is why I am looking into one. My only draw back I can see is the cleaning however with the design of the sooteater it seems As you should be able to push it past the damper with it open and continue just fine. With a traditional brush / rod method I can see where it would definatly be an issue.

14 ft is a fairly short flue for an EPA stove. I really don't think it will be necessary. I'd try the stove for a season without it and learn how the stove behaves under a variety of weather conditions. The damper always can be added later.

I have 15ft of Class A and it is about 5 feet from the stove top to the ceiling where it connects, so a 20ft total chimney height. I didn't install a damper because Englander specifically says not to. That said, if I ever have problems I will install one. I too am planning on bottom up cleaning with a soot eater and didn't want to fuss with the damper - so I was really glad my stove is designed to operate without one.

Status
Not open for further replies.