Danger in the woods!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NextEndeavor

Burning Hunk
Jan 16, 2011
Southern Iowa
This is a first for me. Last winter I was harvesting several loads of black locust when I saw a hunting arrow razor sharp broadhead about 7 feet up in a tree. I thought we'd left that tree alone but then again, I couldn't find it a month later when I wanted to show it to someone. Now the amazing thing: the tree was cut down, cut up, loaded, unloaded elsewhere, split and stacked. From all of that handling, you woulda thunk an injury was due. Well, after work tonight I was moving outside wood into a shed and found it once again, no injuries. Needle in a haystack - razor in 7 cords of firewood. Think I'll play the lottery this week. !!!

Attachments

• Broadhead.jpg
    Broadhead.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 426
I've found bullets, hinges, barbed wire, nails, etc in firewood, but thankfully no broadheads yet. Glad to hear nobody was injured.

I found a nail Sunday that stripped three teeth off my chain and in august I found a horseshoe. The horseshoe took some time to get to.
Two chains lost for about 6 cords of wood. Still cheaper than oil but still....
Glad you found that before anyone got cut.

Yep, get a lottery ticket ;)

Looks still in good shape, I'd cut the chunk out & mount it over the wood shed or work bench.
Kinda like a trophy
Hang an old chain on it for luck ;)

1st time I've seen that.

I had lodged one into a tree one time myself. Went down to get arrow out, or try, and found it to be about 5 feet off the ground. Tried pulling this way and that with no luck. Thought of a way to get some more elbow grease to it by standing back against the tree and pulling over the shoulder. I was doing this when it dawned on me; what is going to happen if this comes out right now? With my throat a mere inch from the arrow head, the picture was clear. Spin the head off the arrow and call it a loss.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Ouch.

Wow what are the odds!!! Glad to hear it didnt bite you!!

Those look like the kind of broadheads I am using now, either Muzzy's or Hell Raisers. They cost $5 to $10 a piece.

I remember shooting a deer one time and hitting him right smack in the tree. But it was not 7' up in the tree! Wonder what happened to get it that high?

Could have been worse with the arrow. Probably many have seen these pictures before:

Arrow in head 2.jpgArrow in head 3.jpg

WOW that had ta hurt !:oops:

I was cutting with dad many years ago when he found a length of 3/8" log chain that had grown into a tree. The thing must have been in there 70-80 years. Shredded the saw chain and sent bits flying all over the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.