Day 32 With No Heat - Enviro Maxx Being Installed Tomorrow!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peacockrocks

Nov 5, 2010
Central NY
We've made it 32 days with no central heat (being in central NY, that is a feat!). Tomorrow the Enviro Maxx is being installed. I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve!

Peacockrocks,

I know that feeling. Waited 5 months for our pellet stove ( of course we were NOT without heat).

Please post pictures of the install.

Good luck and enjoy.

Ranger

Central NY... Been chilly here, you too. Snow??? Hope the stove keeps you warm and toasty...

32 days in upstate, that is a feat. What did you do if anything to stay warm????

Good luck with the install Peacock.

We have our fingers crossed that it goes well, and you'll have some nice, cozy pellet heat very soon! As was mentioned, don't forget the pics (especially burning pics!).....our saying here is "no pics = it really didn't happen" :lol:

not to be the party pooper, 'cause I'm sure you'll love that stove, but... whatsup w/ the no central heat? What happened, and why are you not addressing that very important insurance requirement for most homeowner's policies in the NE regions?.... ya know, burst pipes and stuff...

summit said:
not to be the party pooper, 'cause I'm sure you'll love that stove, but... whatsup w/ the no central heat? What happened, and why are you not addressing that very important insurance requirement for most homeowner's policies in the NE regions?.... ya know, burst pipes and stuff...

From one of his first posts on the forum a while back:
"house was built in 1852, two story, 2600 sq ft, relatively tight. 6 yr old boiler just died"

I'm just wondering why one would forsake installing a new boiler over a pellet unit? I mean, he's already got an existing setup, so barring chimney liner or fuel tank issues you should be able to tie in... and if the boiler is only 6yrs old that just died then the system should be compatable... If this pellet stove is the planned central heating option, then I doubt the ins comp is gonna cover you should they find out. I could understand cost being an issue, but you gotta be dropping 5k on the unit, pellets and install if it's being done via pros... whats a boiler go for? I'm not talking a fancy Boderus, just one to get you by... not to discourge anyone from having a stove, but your central heat situation should be addressed 1st, especially in a situation that arises when you can't be there to feed and clean due to emergency etc... That, and not too many hearth shops can give you 24 hr emergency service if you have a snap switch fail or an auger jam at 11pm on saturday night.....

Picks will certainly be posted later!

To address some of the questions, concerns, comments....gfreek, yes we've got snow, not a lot, but enough. We’re southeast of Syracuse, so we see a lot of lake effect in the winter months. I couldn’t be more grateful for the mild weather we’ve had so far, but that definitely changed this week. We've stayed warm by one ventless propane wall unit and two electric heaters. In a 2600 sq ft house, it's been chilly. Usually wake up to a cool 52. I should note, there are no kids in the house. Just us, the dog and three cats. We have water issues, which is why this house has gone through at least 3 boilers in 20 years. We've been told by three contractors that unless we deal with the water issue, we're going to continue losing boilers. The boiler is covered under warranty, but the labor is not. Revised quote on that was over $2,000. The price of fuel oil is only going up, and we're sick of not being warm in our house, so we opted for a pellet stove large enough to heat the house. I spoke to my insurance agent regarding this and was assured that we were ok, but I will double check based on the points made here. Plus, we're taking the necessary precautions to ensure that our pipes do not freeze. We plan to address our central heating issues in the spring. With the tax credit expiring this month, buying a pellet stove just made the most sense. PS: This site is probably primarily used by guys, but I'm a lady :)

summit said:
I'm just wondering why one would forsake installing a new boiler over a pellet unit? I mean, he's already got an existing setup, so barring chimney liner or fuel tank issues you should be able to tie in... and if the boiler is only 6yrs old that just died then the system should be compatable... If this pellet stove is the planned central heating option, then I doubt the ins comp is gonna cover you should they find out. I could understand cost being an issue, but you gotta be dropping 5k on the unit, pellets and install if it's being done via pros... whats a boiler go for? I'm not talking a fancy Boderus, just one to get you by... not to discourge anyone from having a stove, but your central heat situation should be addressed 1st, especially in a situation that arises when you can't be there to feed and clean due to emergency etc... That, and not too many hearth shops can give you 24 hr emergency service if you have a snap switch fail or an auger jam at 11pm on saturday night.....

My mom made the mistake of calling the HVAC guy to asses her perfectly functioning 70 yo boiler and he walked out of there with $7000 and the old boiler. The one they sold her is only 80% efficient, plus they sold her a water heater. I was livid. I wish I had been ther to give her some guidance and guide him right off the porch. She could have got a nice pellet boiler and been elegible for the tax credit. I'm not sure if what she ended up with is even eligible for the credit.

peacockrocks said:

PS: This site is probably primarily used by guys, but I'm a lady :)

There are more than a few folks on here that are of the fairer sex.

Several of them are also very good a fixing and building things.

You never know sometimes given some of the handles.

Hello peacockrocks

Our old Valliant 155,000 BTU boiler was 22 years old, so a year ago last summer I bought our pellet stove and installed it in the basement. It is 45,000 BTU and can easily heat our house. So I put a deposit on the stove in June and got a super good price at that time of year. It took me all summer to build the hearth and install it, but got my 1st Ton of pellets for 1/2 price with the stove by purchasing it in the summer time. Then I got the $1500.00 tax credit.

Luckily by using the pellet stove, the boiler lasted all last winter because we only used it for the hot water. This past summer when I was bleeding the zones and replacing some gate valves with new ball valves, the old rusty flange bolted to the bottom of the boiler for the return water let go and sprung a leak. Since I did have the pellet stove for heat, I took my time, shopped around and got a good a good deal and found a great boiler man that was not very busy in August and we put in a new boiler. Then I got this year's New Hampshire State Rebate of $500 for the oil boiler and another $100 for the outdoor reset just before the money ran out and the program ended Nov. 9th. The new boiler uses less than half the oil the old boiler did even though they are both 85% efficient. So much for AFUE rating but when it comes down to it, the old boiler had a 1.25 GPH nozzle and the new boiler has a 0.65 GPH nozzle and the Tekmar 260 outdoor reset which is where most of the oil savings is!

So the Pellet Stove saved me some money and now I can choose the cheaper fuel, oil or pellets.

So good luck with your pellet stove and please post pics when you have a chance. :)

Attachments

• PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection240sc.jpg
    PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection240sc.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 726
Sooooooooooooooo.............?????????????????????? How's it going??????????????????????????????????????? In yet?????????????????????????? Lit yet ???????????
?????????? C'mon, c'mon, hurry up...............

Was home at lunch, and the hole was just being drilled through the wall for the vent. But, the stove was in place and it looks fantastic! I've already had a text from the husband which said "there's gonna be some heat tonight!! Wooooohoooo!"

We're just a little excited, if you couldn't tell.

Pics in just a bit! Can't wait to go home in a half hour!

Come on lets go.....see some fire.......

peacockrocks said:
Was home at lunch, and the hole was just being drilled through the wall for the vent. But, the stove was in place and it looks fantastic! I've already had a text from the husband which said "there's gonna be some heat tonight!! Wooooohoooo!"

We're just a little excited, if you couldn't tell.

Pics in just a bit! Can't wait to go home in a half hour!

5:43 here now, what seems to be the delay???????????????

peacockrocks said:
I've already had a text from the husband which said "there's gonna be some heat tonight!! Wooooohoooo!"

You sure he was not talkin about sumpin' else?

j-takeman said:
Doocrew said:
peacockrocks said:
I've already had a text from the husband which said "there's gonna be some heat tonight!! Wooooohoooo!"

You sure he was not talkin about sumpin' else?

:lol: If there newly weds maybe.. :)

Peacock must really rock. My wife would not last 32 minutes without heat.

peacockrocks said:
Picks will certainly be posted later!

To address some of the questions, concerns, comments....gfreek, yes we've got snow, not a lot, but enough. We’re southeast of Syracuse, so we see a lot of lake effect in the winter months. I couldn’t be more grateful for the mild weather we’ve had so far, but that definitely changed this week. We've stayed warm by one ventless propane wall unit and two electric heaters. In a 2600 sq ft house, it's been chilly. Usually wake up to a cool 52. I should note, there are no kids in the house. Just us, the dog and three cats. We have water issues, which is why this house has gone through at least 3 boilers in 20 years. We've been told by three contractors that unless we deal with the water issue, we're going to continue losing boilers. The boiler is covered under warranty, but the labor is not. Revised quote on that was over $2,000. The price of fuel oil is only going up, and we're sick of not being warm in our house, so we opted for a pellet stove large enough to heat the house. I spoke to my insurance agent regarding this and was assured that we were ok, but I will double check based on the points made here. Plus, we're taking the necessary precautions to ensure that our pipes do not freeze. We plan to address our central heating issues in the spring. With the tax credit expiring this month, buying a pellet stove just made the most sense. PS: This site is probably primarily used by guys, but I'm a lady :)

sounds like you got some ducks in a row... please get the central heat issue addressed as soon as time allows... It'd suck to have an emergency/sickness/vacation take you guys outta the house for a week or so and rely on someone else to deal with the stove! Stoves are stove.. I heat my house with a woodstove currently (done both pellet and wood as "primary"), but my oil burner works and has fuel... I have to make a point of firing it off a few times a year to make sure everything ticks properly. It comes in handy, however, and I would not be covered by insurance if I did not have it.. I know you'll like it... we sell VF170's which are a version of the Maxx... great stove, tons of heat, big hopper... you'll love it.. Just get to know it inside and out, and have the guy who hooks it up show you how to CLEAN and be able to CHECK everything before he leaves the house after installation. Like I said, at 11pm on saturday makes for a long cold sat night, sunday all day, and monday morning should a snap disc fail.....

It's in! Took the installer much longer than he expected, but we were up and running around 8:00 last night. And we were like newlyweds! Sat in front of that thing for hours enjoying the heat. The house was up to 72 in no time, and in the almost five years we've been there, it has never, ever been that warm.

I know, I know, if I don't post pics you guys will never believe it's really in. But I'm too busy laying on the couch soaking in this heat! Tomorrow, I promise!

As I suspected................................................
Heat in the house all right. OR, house in heat...

Congrats on the new stove. There are a few of us girls
on this forum. Look forward to your pics and enjoy the warmth!

Status
Not open for further replies.