Dead Saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mayhem

Minister of Fire
May 8, 2007
Saugerties, NY
lately my old reliable 42cc Craftsman just hasn't wanted to stay running and it REALLY doesn't like starting. So I took it in for a tuneup, figuring I probably messed up the screws or my jets were plugged...turns out its got just about no compression any longer and the piston is scored adn pitted pretty badly (shops words). So its time for a new saw...sad to spend the money, but really this saw owes me absolutely nothing...I've cut a good 30+ cords with it and have had it since 1998. Not bad for the $125 I spent on it.

So, anyone know any good deals on a comparabel or bigger saw? I don't want to go smaller than the 42cc/18" bar class, ideally I'll go up a notch in size/power and a better grade machine. been thinking the HD/Makita saws would be ideal, but it seems as though none of the HD stores in anything resembling a reasonable drive rents tools. I've called 4 stores so far and even though HD corporate customer service gave me the numbers for them as stores that rent tools, none of them actually rent tools, all they rent are the self delivery trucks and thata about it.

Looking at Husky 455 Ranchers and I see them new in box on EBay or used with a warrantee for under $300, might be a good option there. Any comments on this as a long term all-in-one saw? I tend to use my saw for the whole felling, limbing, bucking process all at once so I need something thats going to tear into the wood for me and be light enough to use for a couple hours...I never cut more than a couple,maybe three hours though. The only thing I think might be an issue with the 455 is weight.

I had a line on a 359XP awhile back that I passed over at the time, it was under $300 and the photos looked like it was lightly used and well cared for. I sent the guy an e-mail hping he might still have it.

I've got nothing against Stihl, there is a local shop, I just see more Huskies available. An MS290 would be a good saw if I can find one.

I'm thinking my budget is in the $300 range, I cna go a bit higher to cover taxes and a spare chain but I can't touch $400 right now.

Fortunately about 3/4 of my next season's firewood is already bucked up, but I've got a bunch of trees I need to lay down and get an area cleared next to my house so I really should try to find something soon.

Thoughts? Opinions? Options?

This seems too good to be true. Its almost like its a stolen saw:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/grd/2262616823.html

MS-361 stihl chainsaw 25 inch bar - $325 (rohnert pk / cotati)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2011-03-12, 9:25PM PST
Reply to: xxxxxxxx
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
need the cash
call mark @xxx-xxx-xxxx

But it might be worth checking out if he will ship.

Stihl 029 chainsaw - $250 (Washingtonville NY)

Date: 2011-03-20, 1:33PM EDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

Stihl 029 chainsaw
runs perfect used a few times
250.00 Firm

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Husqvarna 61 chainsaw - $150 (charlston 4 corners)

Date: 2011-03-19, 2:43PM EDT
Reply to: see below

cubic inches 3.7 inches
cubic centimeters 61.5
horse power 4.1
saw runs excellent... i have owned it for years <br new chain, 20'' oregon bar

call for details

518 673 8096

518 275 8575

Stihl Chainsaw 18" - $150 (Amsterdam)

Date: 2011-03-16, 9:59PM EDT

Stihl Chainsaw 18" Model 028 AV Super Wood Boss

Please call Pat if interested 518/842-5885

Stihl 029 chainsaw - $250 (Washingtonville NY)

Date: 2011-03-20, 1:33PM EDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

Stihl 029 chainsaw
runs perfect used a few times
250.00 Firm

Husqvarna 61 chainsaw - $150 (charlston 4 corners)

Date: 2011-03-19, 2:43PM EDT

cubic inches 3.7 inches
cubic centimeters 61.5
horse power 4.1
saw runs excellent... i have owned it for years <br new chain, 20'' oregon bar

call for details

518 673 8096

518 275 8575

Stihl Chainsaw 18" - $150 (Amsterdam)

Date: 2011-03-16, 9:59PM EDT

Stihl Chainsaw 18" Model 028 AV Super Wood Boss

Please call Pat if interested 518/842-5885

$300 would be a pretty good price for a new 455, I think they generally go for $400. That saw doesn't get much love on here but I've been happy with mine so far. I've pushed it pretty hard - 24" bar (w/ full-skip) for bucking, and I've even done some 15-20" milling with it. (Not recommended, but hasn't killed it yet.) It it heavy for limbing and isn't as powerful or well-built as the lighter 359/357xp models, but if you can't find those used under $300 it's a reasonable option. The HD Makita for ~$200 is a much better option, but I have something like 5-7 rental centers around here and I still can't find one. The fact that you can flip them on ebay may have something to do with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.