Dealer said, “You NEED a Chimney Cap.†(M55).

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DevinM88

May 3, 2010
Western MA
Hey Folks. In October 2010, I purchased a new Enviro M55 FS from my local dealer. This replaced a reliable yet “time to retire†1996 Whitfield Advantage II-T. When I went back into the dealer this past week, they told me “You NEED a Chimney Capâ€. They stated, the M-55 has a safety shut off switch that will shut down my stove when exposed to the pressures from Mother Nature’s extremely frigid/windy conditions. I have yet to experience this, is it true?. I’m currently using the original wood stove chimney that was built for my ranch style house in 1972. If in fact I need one, I’m curious of my options. I read somewhere that the Founder/Webmaster of Hearth.com (I’m from Western MA too) is in the business of such products.

Cheers!

what they are describing is the "cold stack effect" and it is a real thing, and can mess with the stove in the right conditions. I'd say you WANT the chimney cap, even if you dont NEED it. Stoves dont like water or squirrels in them very much. Nice choice on the M55 btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.