Dealer says don't use auto/off to save the ignitor?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

madge69

Nov 18, 2010
central ma
What do you guys think? Obviously if it doesn't cycle as often, it MAY last longer, but I would think that would be evidenced by increased ignitor replacements when using a t-stat. What do our experienced stove guys say?

Yes, the ignitor will last longer, since they are rated for a certain number of heat/cool cycles. Throw in some ash (overheating) and you further reduce useable life.

It's a matter of preference since ignitor life and extra pellet consumption tend to offset one another to a certain extent. To what extent, well, IMO, that can only be proven in a lab, everything else is just an opinion.

My stove will run on manual during the heart of the heating season since heat (warm stove) is always needed and I'll probably run auto with a setback thermostat during the shoulder seasons, with the setback used primarily during the sunshine hours. Ideally, 2 maybe 3 calls for heat per day.

I think a comment like this would lead me to question the quality of the stove I was purchasing!

But, isn't this kind of comment like saying ... ""Don't use the brakes on your new car 'cause it'll wear out the brake shoes too fast!" If the brake shoes wear out too fast (after too few miles or too many stops) there is a design problem with the car / brakes. Maybe the dealer just doesn't want to replace the brake shoes while the car is under warranty?

Additionally, running in thermostat controlled mode saves pellets, keeps the temperature more predictable and constant, and might save electricity, depending of course on the cycle frequency.

I would be more inclined to agree with the concept of lowering the heat output on the stove to reduce the on/off cycle frequency when the outside temperature increases. Lowering on/off cycling frequency would help increase ignitor life and still keep the room temperature fairly constant.

RonB

Igniter's are for ..............

velotocht said:
I think a comment like this would lead me to question the quality of the stove I was purchasing!

The dealer's comment was about all pellet stoves with ignitors and t-stats in general.

In general, Yes using the High/Low or idling the stove will extend the igniter. But I have see some stoves go many many seasons with the original igniter and used with a t stat. My old quad has gone well over 8 and still works fine. I am the second owner ta boot. Its a heating element similar to the burners/elements on your electric stove. One never knows when they might fail and if they do? And thats why they make spare parts.

All I can say is while the stove is still under warranty, I would use the heck out of it. You can baby it once the warranty period is over.

I am testing my igniter now, running thermostat all the time, will report if and when it fails.
It must have cycled thousands times already.

As far as the thermostat we recommend one made for a pellet stove with a “Swing Temp†setting like the skytech.

The Swing Temp setting reduces the cycling so it goes easier on the ignitor.

Any millivolt thermostat will work. However since Pellet Stoves take time to turn off and then turn back on, unlike gas and oil appliances, it is recommended to get a thermostat with a “Swing Temp†setting like a Skytech

Info from Skytech Manual Page 5 >> http://tinyurl.com/2wcu4ho
The thermo-transmitter operates the fireplace system whenever the
ROOM TEMPERATURE varies a certain number of degrees from the
SET TEMPERATURE. This variation is called the �SWING� or
TEMPERATURE DIFFERENTIAL. The normal operating cycle of a
fireplace system may be 2-4 times per hour depending on how well
the room or home is insulated from the cold or drafts. A smaller
�swing number� increases the number of cycles so the room
temperature is more constant. A larger �swing number� decreases the
number of cycles, which saves energy, in most cases. The factory
setting for the �swing number� is 2. This represents a temperature
variation of +/- 2 0 F (1 0C ) between SET temperature and ROOM
temperature which determines when the fireplace will be activate. The
�SWING� number values are:
1= +/- 1 0 F (.5 0C ), 2= +/- 2 0 F (1 0C ), 3 = +/-3 0 F (1.6 0C ).

MANUAL CHECK OF �SWING� OR TEMPERATURE DIFFERENTIAL
The operation of the factory set �THERMO SWING� can be checked by adjusting the SET TEMP 2 0 F above or below the room temperature.
This will cause the system to turn ON or OFF. Normally the system will only respond to temperature changes every two minutes. Manually
changing the SET temperature will activate the system in less than 10 seconds. If the �SWING� is changed, then a new room temperature
differential will respond. Factory setting of SWING temperature is 2 0 F.
OPERATIONAL NOTE: TO CONSERVE BATTERY POWER, CHANGES IN TEMPERATURE ARE ONLY RECORDED EVERY TWO
MINUTES. Additionally, to prevent repeated thermo-cycling of the gas appliance, the sensing unit in the transmitter will only activate the
remote receiver when the temperature change exceeds 2 0 F (1 0C ) above or below the SET (desired) temperature. However, if the
�SWING� setting has been changed from the factory setting (2 0 F /10C ), then thermo-cycling will activate at the new setting of the �SWING�
number.
MANUAL CHECK OF THERMO OPERATION
The operation of the Thermo setting can be checked on demand by adjusting the SET temperature 2 0 F above or below the room
temperature, which will cause the system to turn ON or OFF, respectively. Normally, however, the system will only respond to temperature
changes every two minutes. NOTE: if �SWING� number has been changed, then activation will occur at the new �SWING� setting.
When the gas fireplace system is activated, a FLAME icon will display on the LCD screen indicating a signal has been sent from the
transmitter.
OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS

Don't forget that the igniter is probably covered by a 2 year warranty so it is in the best interest of the dealer to have that sucker last 2 years! :cheese: For what an igniter costs (if you replace it yourself), you will save enough pellets to pay for it by using off/on. As for swing settings, even the $29 Ritetemp has a swing setting on it but it is a personal preference as to what to set it to. Since the stove takes a while to start contributing heat after it turns on, I find during cold weather that a swing on 1 degree set on the thermostat results in an actual swing of about 3 degrees > one above and two below the setting. That keeps the 'boss' happy, which keeps everyone happy!

run on thermostat from day one .first igniter last over 2 years replace it with a none manufacture igniter brand going strong almost 4 years now. save pellets also electrical consumption.my 2 cents aftermarket igniter are better then oem

I dont even use my ingnitor. I tried it to see if it worked and then unpluged it. I am finding that its faster with a hand full of fines and gel to get if going. It runs 24/7 but when I forget to put the pellets to it,it seems to go out ....lol. I too run on a stat so do not use it anyway, ENJOY THE NEW TOY.

Jeff

Heated for 7 years now in room temp mode, no problem with the igniter. I don't think it actually comes on that often anyway. Once my stove is lit it stays running unless I shut it down for cleaning.

I might use my ignitor once a week if that on my home stove. I would rather have it stay running then rely on it turning off then restarting but that is me.

Eric

Dealer worried about a little ole igniter, come on Eric.

slls said:

Not worried about it, have a shelf full. I just do not see the need to turn on/off my stove.

Eric

kinsman stoves said:
slls said:

Not worried about it, have a shelf full. I just do not see the need to turn on/off my stove.

Eric

Same here. My main showroom stove just modulates between high and low. It doesnt have an ignitor anyhow, so once a month when I clean it I just do the gel thing.

The only reason to turn stove on and off is to save pellets, it saves lots.

I agree with the above posters. What the point of having it then. One of the reasons I bought a pellet stove was the stoves ability to shut down and restart when heat is called for.

Prob everyone of the early pellet stoves were manual light. Just like a woodstove. This is just a modern thing like your Power windows in your car. There were no windows in the first vehicles. I personally wouldn't want to come home to a cold house, thats why my stove runs constant. Less heat loss. IMO. BUT.. Its like the old Ford vs Chevy arguement. Its saves more to shut it down and run on a high setting. NO. It saves more to run constant on a low setting. NO. It saves more to shut it... You get the point. The fact is everyone is different, and thats what makes us.. US. Whatever it is you do, your gonna keep doing it. My ignitor, 3 seasons so far, and still lights like day one. How long will it last? Might poop out tomorrow, I hope not. (knocking on wood) LOL. Either way, they still make manual light stoves, as do they make self starting stoves. To each there own......

AFAIK, Set back thermostats were invented to reduce energy consumption. IMHO doesn't matter what fuel is being used as long as the unit can recover in a reasonable amount time. As long as you stick to some guide lines, (not more than 6ºF of setback is one) You should be able to reduce your fuel costs. Variables could effect the result so YMMV. I'm a believer and thats half the battle. Try it you may like it and if you haven't? You don't know what your missing. hehe :)

Probably just started another yadda yadda battle! ;-P

During the shoulder seasons I do use it. But mainly Dec, Jan, and Feb, she runs constant.

Well there is another piece to this conversation that no one has mentioned. My manual says that when the ignitor comes on it stays on for 10 minutes and if my flame sensor does not sense a flame it will cycle one more time and then shut down. That's 20 minutes of electricity.
Some of the reasons we buy these stoves is renewable energy, savings on our energy bills, and using waste products for pellets. Its tons cheaper to heat your home with em. Also we are being echo friendly.Well I for one have disconnected my ignitor for the waste of electricity. I know ,I know,its not much but my time invested in starting a fire is 2.5 seconds and my stoves pre-ordained time set by my manufacturer is 10 minute increment's....its a small savings but a savings none the less. And I wont have to replace it when it burns out.
Bell's and whistles are nice but in a lot of cases negate some of my reasons for doing what I do. Just a thought ;-)

Jeff

You're confusing saving your time with being "echo". Do you use less fuel igniting pellets your way than the igniter does with electricity? Does it make sense to only be able to light your stove when you are present, and if so do you stay home until all the heat has dissipated?

My stove stays lit 24/7 unless I am cleaning it or I forget to load the pellets in it,which I have done before. I use a table spoon of rubbing alcohol just like it shows on one of the magnum video's of the experts starting a newly installed stove. I run my stove on the stat setting and it kicks down to the lowest setting when not calling for heat. My ignitor runs for ten minutes regardless of the amount of time it takes to actually start the fire. I can not say what the exact numbers are for the cost of the electricity is. I have seen some numbers on a pellet stove site as to the up tick in voltage and for the short time it is on it is quite significant. I guess if you want to really get down to the science of the cost to produce a table spoon of alcohol compared to the ten minutes of run time by the ignitor then you might be right. Not woth the btu's to do the math.I was just thinking of the 2.5 seconds it takes me to lite my stove manually compared to the ten minutes it takes with the electricity.Was not try to piss in any Cheerios and defiantly understand you point.
I guess I was only thinking of my light bill and not the cost to produce power and the cost of my fire starter

Jeff

I installed my WhitField Profile 30 insert in the fall of 2005. Here in southern NY my stove is turned on constantly from late October to end of March - excluding 10 mins or so for daily cleaning and a few power outages over the years. I always run under thermostat control with ignitor ignition. I have never manually lit the stove. My first ignitor failed in Feb 2010 after nearly 6 heating seasons. I found a replacement on Ebay for $90 - at a much better price than the local Lennox dealer. Some of those dealers think all customers are desparate and NEED that ignitor today. They seem to forget most people with pellet stoves also have an alternate heating souce - like me.

The 'swing' on my digital (programmable) thermostat is set at 1 degree F. Like Tjnamtiw above mentions, due to the thermal inertia of the stove and house that 1 degree swing temperature results in about 3 degrees room temperature swing. So it works well.

My other thought on running in Hi-Lo control mode is that only the pellet flow rate changes with the thermostat - the air flow is constant. I believe it is set high to just keep a lively flame on hi pellet flow mode (no smoke). Therefore, when the pellet feed drops to low flow, the air flow remains set to high (optimized for high pellet feed flow). Therefore, in low feed mode, the pellets should burn very fast with a larger portion of the heat being carried up the stack. ?? Am I correct here, or do stove with a hi/lo pellet feed option also drop the combustion air flow when the pellet feed rate changes?

Take care

RonB

Status
Not open for further replies.