Dealer service call, worth the $ ???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigjim13

Minister of Fire
Jan 5, 2009
Central Vermont
First I want to thank those who responded to my thread about fire poking behind the flameguide on
My Harman. Stopped at the dealer today and picked up a new flameguide, spent a grnad total of $25.68 and so far so good (knocking on wood).

While i was there the dealer mentioned they would be having a summer special on cleaning/service calls. He thought the price was going to be around $150 and they came to the house for a tune up and cleaning and were usually there for a few hrs.

Now this is my 3rd season with the stove and I have yet to have the dealer out to do a service like this. I'm curious to hear people who have either had this done or do it for their customers-any thuggee would be appreciated.

I am leaning towards having this done, even though I do alot of cleaning on the stove and have learned alot on this site I still can't help but wonder if I am missing something. The price doesn't seem out of line either...

I think many will disagree with me, but I would do it. Your warranty for your motors will be expiring if you've had it since 2008. That's when I bought mine, and I think that was the last year the motors and electrical were covered for that long. They can test the motors, inspect your gaskets, and whatever else might be wearing out after 3 years. That said, I had my dealer out, but I wasn't happy with what their idea of servicing was, and will not be using them this year. I would make sure they tell you what is covered under this $150 service call, and hopefully they will do what they promise.

newf lover said:
I think many will disagree with me, but I would do it. Your warranty for your motors will be expiring if you've had it since 2008. That's when I bought mine, and I think that was the last year the motors and electrical were covered for that long. They can test the motors, inspect your gaskets, and whatever else might be wearing out after 3 years. That said, I had my dealer out, but I wasn't happy with what their idea of servicing was, and will not be using them this year. I would make sure they tell you what is covered under this $150 service call, and hopefully they will do what they promise.

Your thought process sounds about the same as mine and I think your right about the warranty. I will definitely make sure to find out what their idea of "service" is. Frankly if it was just a cleaning I would probably skip it. I have learned enough on this forum to be confident that I am cleaning the right stuff. From what he was saying they come out and check the stove from top to bottom to make sure it's running correctly. make it like new according to the dealer.

I would think it would be worth the money if you have confidence in the dealer and you find out exactly what it covers. You can think of it both as an insurance policy and as a learning experience. Watch closely and ask questions (service techs love that) and you can probably do it all yourself next time. They also may catch something that might go out next Winter in the middle of a big snow storm.

About the same. If they are going to test the parts, i.e. electronics, sensors etc. But if it is just a cleaning, then no. I had a bad experience with the installation. I mean really bad. The company has sent that manager and the incompetent help packing. It happens. But thanks to this forum and good directions for cleaning, I have survived very well. There was nothing wrong with my stove. The final installation is still much as it was except for the new addition of the OAK. There are a few people right on this forum that I would hire in a heartbeat if they were available to me in my area. If you have the time, check around. See if you can find someone who has had a good experience with getting maintence for their stove. In the end, it is like that for most anything.

If the dealer does everything they are supposed to do for the tune up and cleaning then I would jump on the opportunity. And make sure you watch what they do so that way you can have a better understanding of everything. The price seems pretty good. An annual cleaning usually takes about two hours. Also it will most likely prevent that stubborn service call early in the season when the dealer is booked pretty solid. The cleaning should consist of a full cleaning inside/outside front/back and venting of the stove. And while they are there you may wanna have them do a quick draft reading after the cleaning is done. Just to make sure the draft is up to par and to ensure they didnt miss anything.

I had a similar post in another thread, where my dealer is also offering a spring clean special. I was leaning towards having it done,after reading the post here I know what to ask is it just a cleaning or is it full service tune up. I was also thinking that if I shoot the dealer some business if an emergency should arise in the dead of winter I may get a faster response. They will know me and they have serviced the stove take care of your good clients 1st. What do the service techs / dealers on this forum think? Thanks for your feed back.

Its a situation that is similar to car tune ups. There is really no way to know if they do everything and do everything right, unless you know what needs to be done, how it should be done, and you stay there and watch them and make sure that they do it right. Then, it begs the question that if you know what needs to be done, why not do it yourself? My dealer came and serviced my stove 2 years in a row. Then in the fall of the second year, I had a problem with the flame and the way it was burning. I tried to get them to come look at it but they were 3 weeks out and I was unwilling to wait. My pellet house reccomended a repair tech to me who is freaking awesome, knowlegable and responsive. He came in right away and uilled about a gallon of ash from the pipe behind the stove that was clogging my exhaust. Fool me once, shame on you.......but not twice!
Just be sure that if they service it, they service it. Not just come in and vacuum the front and wash the glass. Anyone can do that. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.