Dealing with Zoning in a Pennsylvania Borough. I am impressed.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kinsmanstoves

Minister of Fire
I had a home owner / customer ask to have a pellet stove installed in their home. They requested I follow all codes and permit requirements so their home owner's insurance does not have an issue with the install. I told them no problem since we are registered with PA as a contractor.

I called the local Borough Government Office asking to speak with the Zoning Official and was given his home number. I left a message on his home service. The Official calls me back within two hours and asks a couple questions since he is unfamiliar with a pellet stove. I answer his questions and he tells me this has nothing to do with him since it is a residential install and all he asks is to follow up with the State Building Inspector. No one has ever "asked" him anything about a pellet stove. I get his number and call him.

I have never spoken to this Inspector before. The Inspector answers the phone and I explain what and where we are going to do the install. The Inspector said that I must follow Manufacturer's specification and I am good to go. That is it. The Inspector also says that what happens in an existing home with an alternative heating appliance is not a State matter unless it is not hooked up correctly.

Awesome. I only wish all other Boroughs, Townships, and Cities were as easy to deal with as this.

Eric

I called My borough and said do I need a permit? They said that since I am putting an insert into an existing approved fireplace, I am good to go. My Homeowners Insurance came out to take pictures, and didn't change my rate. Pa is easy for pellet stove owners. Also there is no tax on pellets either.

Here in VA when the young feller came out to inspect the installation after the two wood stoves and liners went in to replace the old stoves he seemed to really appreciate the class I gave him on what chimney liners are and on NFPA 211. I should have charged HIM. :smirk:

Well here in little old Rhode Island we have town ordinances that require a permit for a pellet stove (or so I am told by by the local company that sold me the stove).

Several weeks ago I paid the $104 permit to the dealer and shortly after I had the stove installed. Not a big deal, outside wall, direct vent, 18" of pipe installed. The company is licensed for installing wood and pellet stoves so this was a run of the mill install. Well 2 weeks later and I still haven't heard from the town permit guy. Called the dealer and they told me that this was normal!. So, does my town 'official' expect me not to use the stove until they give the OK? What guarantee do I have from the the 'official' that my stove will be safe? Well, I think the answer is obvious. The town takes my $104, they rarely, if ever, actually check on the installation. If they do check then I would be surprised to find that the 'official' has any experience of working with pellet stoves. Lets say my house burns down because of a faulty install. Does the town take responsibility?, of course not.

What a scam this is! Why has the town got $104 of my hard earned money, because they can. No guarantees, no service, no nothing.

Next month I'm getting a new roof installed and guess what, the town wants more money from me for a 'roofing permit'. From what I'm told its very rare that a town 'official' even checks on a site so I plan on arranging for the 'official' to visit and I will insist on seeing him climb a ladder to 'inspect' the work being done.

Any town 'officials' want to add to this...

OldBrit

I had to pay $48 for a permit for my stove, but at least the guy came out and actually sort of looked it over. He even went outside to look at it, and also looked behind the stove to see what he could see. He made an appointment to come on Monday (I called on Friday), and he was here on time. Can't complain about that, but why should I have to pay (scaled on the cost of the item!!) a government official to do what he's paid for, anyway. I know the money goes to the town, but that's like the police department charging to come out to investigate a break-in, charging a percentage of what was stolen. (I truly hope that I haven't given some government hack any ideas….).

PA has some plusses - this is one of them. My township has instituted many permits as described above though, such as a permit whose cost is based on the cost of the project (new garage, fence, etc)

Here in Oregon, there is a county or city permit required.

The inspector comes out when you call them and looks things over.
He /she reads over the specs on the particular stove and checks to be sure the install is by the manfactures specs and your good to go.

I have one pellet stove that is in a spot that I could not keep the direct vent within the distance required for a window that cn be opened.

I cut a nice pice of wood, laid it in the window slide track and screwed it down so the window could not open far enough to be out of spec.

The inspector looked it over, and smiled, "Hmmmm creative" was all he said as he signed the permit.

Such things as distance from combustibles was the biggy and of course the floor protector.

Some times life is good.

Glad it all went well for you.

Snowy

Snowy Rivers said:
I have one pellet stove that is in a spot that I could not keep the direct vent within the distance required for a window that cn be opened.

Not sure if you are aware of this but the direct vent wall pass-through kit from Harman allows you to reduce this distance to 18inches versus the normal 4 feet. This may only apply to Harman stoves; I'm not clear on that one.

Anyway, I got the permit today but its totally unreadable because it's a carbon copy that didn't copy. There is the faintest sign of a signature under the wording 'permit granted'. So what do I do with this now? Who do I have to call, if anyone? There is no contact info on the form. Have I just paid some jerk $104 to sign a piece of paper?

Status
Not open for further replies.