Decent chainsaw?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tansao

Dec 30, 2010
Worcester, MA
Hi folks,

Started my first year of scrounging, started with a red oak that is in the back of my property that's been down a few years. It's probably about 18" in diameter. It hasn't been laying on the ground but the outside is squishy (is this what folks mean by pucky?). My 16" Home Depot gas chainsaw is slow, and I doubt designed for more than yard clean up.

Anyone recommend a good saw between $200 and $300 for scrounging year to year? I know Husqvarna is a good brand, though someone told me they were recently bought by Home Depot and their quality has since diminished with crappier, cheaper parts for Home Depot to make more $$ on them with less quality.

Post your question in the Gear forum. You wil get a dozen responses by this evening ;)

Both the Husky (455)rancher and the Stihl Farm Boss (MS 290) are around $370 and ,if cared for, should serve you well for many,many years to come. I realize this is a bit more than you wanted to spend, but "you get what you pay for".

Tansao said:
Hi folks,

Started my first year of scrounging, started with a red oak that is in the back of my property that's been down a few years. It's probably about 18" in diameter. It hasn't been laying on the ground but the outside is squishy (is this what folks mean by pucky?). My 16" Home Depot gas chainsaw is slow, and I doubt designed for more than yard clean up.

Anyone recommend a good saw between $200 and $300 for scrounging year to year? I know Husqvarna is a good brand, though someone told me they were recently bought by Home Depot and their quality has since diminished with crappier, cheaper parts for Home Depot to make more $$ on them with less quality.
It looks like you have five Home Depot Rental Centers close to you. Every two years HD sales their rental saws. Their condition varies from beat to a pulp to very very good condition. These are Makita/Dolmar and are pro grade saws. Most of the time I think the used saws are in good condition. Prices seem to range from around $180-$260. HD has a list that will tell you how many times the saw has been rented (to see if it's really been used a lot or not). After each rental a new chain is installed on the saw. They usually come with a new chain and a scabbard for the bar. It is around a 65cc saw and sports a 20" bar. Very good quality saw. You can beef it up to a bigger saw by purchasing a kit from Baileys...but I'd think 65cc would be plenty big enough for scrounging. ;)

I just bought one sight-unseen over in Georgia...I located it and got my sister to pick it up for me. I hope to have it soon. Call around to your area HD's and ask them if they have any up for sale....they update (add new things) their lists the first of each month. If the first one that you call doesn't have a saw ask them if any other stores in the area has one...that's what I did. :)

If you get a good one you would be very hard pressed to beat the deal in your price range!

But remember, it is a used saw...but most folks are tickled with them.

Best wishes,
Ed

ETA: These are normally $500-$600 saws when new.

You might be surprised what you find if you go to a smaller chain saw shop versus a big box store. I actually paid 15 bux less for my husky at my small town chainsaw shop that I could have bought the same saw for a big store. Plus, if I need warranty work or repairs, new chains made or sharpened, etc he gets me in quick (read: before the folks who purchased from the big box store).

pen

Tansao said:
Hi folks,

Are you opposed to a used saw? That opens up a new world of opportunity if the answer is "no"..

I got a Stihl ms311. It rocks. A bit more like $500 though.

I cut up an oak exactly like you describe. Been on the ground years and kind of soft on the edges, but still solid in the middle. After I split it, the middle was wet to touch, but no rot.

It's hard on the saw. Even with the big aggressive teeth on the Stihl, I can only make a few cuts before it needs to be sharpened. But the little saw would dull half way through!

I put up some of that wood a year ago, and when I checked a newly split piece yesterday, it was 15% moisture. We'll have some nice fires next winter!

In that price range, you can get a refurbished Husky 455 or 450 from eeebay, or keep an eye out locally for a good used Stihl or Husky around 50-60cc.
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=husqvarna+455&_sacat=0&LH_BIN=1&LH_Price=200..300@c&LH_PrefLoc=1&_odkw=husqvarna+455+18"&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Tansao said:
Hi folks,

About Husqvarna being bought by HD- somebody got into the loco-weed. Husqvarna is a component of Electrolux. They and other mfgs. cater somewhat to the BigBox market (WalMart syndrome?) with homeowner-oriented models. Vice big-bore pro models. (IOW, focus more on model rather than brand.)

Rather than "pucky" did you mean "punky"? If so, yes. Hockey fan here too.

tricked out 395/660 is in order here. ported bb kit slammed head and a monster muff job(1-3/8)! (880 carb) adaptor plate anyone? And MMAULS gas can! oh custom air breather!

CTYank said:
Tansao said:
Hi folks,

About Husqvarna being bought by HD- somebody got into the loco-weed. Husqvarna is a component of Electrolux. They and other mfgs. cater somewhat to the BigBox market (WalMart syndrome?) with homeowner-oriented models. Vice big-bore pro models. (IOW, focus more on model rather than brand.)

Rather than "pucky" did you mean "punky"? If so, yes. Hockey fan here too.

Just to clear up some things:

"Husky" is Home Depot brand for their own line of tools.

"Huskee" is a brand of outdoor power equipment made by SpeeCo and sold at Tractor Supply.

"Husqvarna" is still a Swedish company. They were part of Electrolux for a relatively short period, but that ended in 2006.

I think Lowes carries husquavarna while HD carries Echo.

For 200-300, get a good used Stihl 2-- (or stretch a little for a new 290... just will be a little heavier)

Tansao said:
Hi folks,

Dolmar PS510... just a bit over $300. Cant buy it online though... must go through a dealer.

http://www.amickssuperstore.com/Dolmar_Chainsaws_s/163.htm

Try -www.toolking.com- makita DCS510 for $279.99. They call them re-conditioned, but it'll probably be a reps. sample saw. I picked up a 6401, a little scuff on the bottom, thats it. Piston was clean enough to eat off of.

midwestcoast said:
In that price range, you can get a refurbished Husky 455 or 450 from eeebay, or keep an eye out locally for a good used Stihl or Husky around 50-60cc.

I'd be afraid to buy a used small engine unless I knew and trusted the seller. It's too easy to make a worn out engine run long enough to make the sale (especially if the buyer doesn't know what to look for).

smokinjay said:
tricked out 395/660 is in order here. ported bb kit slammed head and a monster muff job(1-3/8)! (880 carb) adaptor plate anyone? And MMAULS gas can! oh custom air breather!

You're not helping!

For your budget, you can't go wrong with the Dolmar 420 or 510. They are really well built (more so than their Husqvarna or Stihl equivalent).

wendell said:
smokinjay said:

You're not helping!

You think the custom air-filter is an over kill? Or MMAUL gas can not big enough? lol

I dont think I can find a smaller gas can, I might have to start buying stihl premade gas.

MMaul said:
I dont think I can find a smaller gas can, I might have to start buying stihl premade gas.

Going to find you a 10 gallon can! (for your birthday) To the OP 200-300 bucks You will need to look at used saws imo.
Lots of good ones out there but now you need to know what you are looking at.

I got a STHL 250 for Christmas with an 18" bar. I have used it twice so far and it has worked out well. I don't plan to cut often, but something decent when I do.

Tansao, I hope you're not like some folks who've gotten the SS X27 and are never heard from again...oh my goodness, what if he got a cousin saw to that sinister axe??!!! There should be an X-Files investigation into some of these happenings. Folks have to realize people are coming up missing!!! Obama needs to form a committee and appoint some czars to study this!!!!!

Tansao...are you out there???? If so, tap three times on the inside of my monitor screen...

Concerned human,
Ed

Intheswamp said:
Tansao, I hope you're not like some folks who've gotten the SS X27 and are never heard from again...oh my goodness, what if he got a cousin saw to that sinister axe??!!! There should be an X-Files investigation into some of these happenings. Folks have to realize people are coming up missing!!! Obama needs to form a committee and appoint some czars to study this!!!!!

Tansao...are you out there???? If so, tap three times on the inside of my monitor screen...

Concerned human,
Ed

Yea I still think he could get by on a little soup-up 90cc saw with the right modds it would feel like a 100cc or better! I know there is a few draw backs to that plan, but if you have a good ear you should be able to hold the sweet spot longer than you might think!

Status
Not open for further replies.