Defiant Primary Air Shutter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mdbartel

Jul 8, 2011
Northern Wisconsin
Been burning with a VC Defiant 1945 cat stove for the last 6 years. Overall have been fairly happy with the stove, but the stove never seemed to have too much control. Burn times were never as advertised, 4-6 hours. After taking yet another close look at the stove, noticed that the primary air shutter doesn't look correct. The shutter has about 3/16" gap around when in the 'low fire' position. It seems to me that this is pretty much useless. About the middle of the burning season last year, I attached aluminum foil over 3/4 of the opening and seemed to get a bit more control. After contacting my dealer, they didn't provide much useful information, but in a hazy picture, it looks like the air shutter should cover the entire opening, no gaps. I can't seem to find any other web discussions about this issue. I have attached a picture of the shutter and would like other Defiant owners to take a look and see if the setup is correct. (I have also attached a picture of the dealer provided picture.) Thanks.

Attachments

• Dealer Pic.jpg
    Dealer Pic.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 625
  • Stove Air Shutter.jpg
    Stove Air Shutter.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 594
Well, took apart the air shutter. Found out everything is intact per the Defiant manual. However, the primary air rod had a rather noticeable kink that prevents the shutter from going full shut. Looks like shoddy assembly of the unit. Ordered a new rod and cable from the VC dealer. It has since been reassembled and the shutter now closes.

Also noticed from an Encore rebuild manual posted on the web that the rod should be kept in place with a friction clip. However, the VC assembly people just took a pliers and bent the rod, which I'm sure didn't help either. The replacement rod didn't have any clips, so ordered some from McMaster Carr.

First small burn shows improvement in air control. Still need to replace some gaskets and go through a full load test.

In our 3 year old 2550 Encore cat, the fluffy white gasket between the primary shutter frame and stove body kept the shutter open 1/4 in. I trimmed the gasket and now the shutter can close all the way. Also, if the Defiant is like the Encore (probably), there are 2 hidden unregulated intake holes (round 1/4 in. dia.) hidden behind the front legs that shoot fresh air into the ash pan cavity. They can be found with a flashlight. Other posters have suggested those holes be left alone.

NucFire said:
Well, took apart the air shutter. Found out everything is intact per the Defiant manual. However, the primary air rod had a rather noticeable kink that prevents the shutter from going full shut. Looks like shoddy assembly of the unit. Ordered a new rod and cable from the VC dealer. It has since been reassembled and the shutter now closes.

Also noticed from an Encore rebuild manual posted on the web that the rod should be kept in place with a friction clip. However, the VC assembly people just took a pliers and bent the rod, which I'm sure didn't help either. The replacement rod didn't have any clips, so ordered some from McMaster Carr.

First small burn shows improvement in air control. Still need to replace some gaskets and go through a full load test.

I have the same problem on my used 1945 I just purchased. What do you mean by "kink"? What did you have to take apart to replace the cable?

The kink was a bend in the primary air rod (item 61). The Defiant user manual shows the rod as a straight metal rod with no bends. The rod itself is held to the air shutter by a single support on the bottom of the air shutter and then two supports to make the hinge on the top. To assemble the air shutter one needs to pull the rod in backwards through the bottom support, work it to the two 90 degree bends and the slide through the top two hing holes.

Because of the bend at the lower rod support, the shutter would not go fully closed. If I loosened the set screw on the primary air shutter so the thermostat cable was loose (item 66) and just pulled the shutter shut by hand, it would pop right back to the partially opened position.

I found the Encore 0028 and 2140 service manual online. It is very similar in design to the Defiant. In the assembly instructions there is no mention of bending this rod. In fact, the instructions are to set the thermostat cable so that the primary air shutter is fully closed with the control handle at minimum heat position with the stove cold.

I also found that the primary air rod was bent over to keep the rod from backing out of the hinge. The Encore service manual mentions the rod should be held in place with a friction clip. There was no friction clip, rather the assemblers just bent the rod to keep it in place. The rod is 3/16" thick and the process of bending it in place could also affect the operation. I had to use a vice grips to bend it back enough to get the old rod out.

I purchased a new rod and thermostat cable through my dealer. The rod did not come with friction clips, so I ordered one through McMaster Carr.

You can check the condition of the air rod by simply removing the two screws in the picture below. The thermostat cable will still be connected, but you can carefully side the assembly out, but not all the way. This will allow you to at least inspect the condition of your air shutter.

To do the full replacement you need to pull the cable out from the set screw. If there is a copper sleeve, you will need to cut it off to get the cable out. Then you can fully remove the rod and air shutter. There is a special arrangement to thread the cable through the rod, shown in the user manual. If you're lucky, there is enough cable you can just thread it through the replacement air rod and re-assemble.

To replace the cable, you need to remove the right air plate to access the thermostat. Make sure you tie a string to the old cable before you pull out, so you can easily thread the new one through the back of the stove.

Here is a link to the Encore service manual, you'll probably find it more helpful than my dis-jointed discussion:

http://www.increa.com/reverse/defiant-encore-stove-catalytic-replacement/Serv_Encore_0028_2140.pdf

If your air intake shutter control is not closing all the way on low position on a new stove, call the dealer. This should definitely be installed and operating correctly from the factory. If not, the best way to get word back to VC is to have dealers complaining that they are making too many service calls on this item.

Does anyone know how to read "manufacturer date code?"
It says 1212 on defiant 1945.
Between what years was 1945 model in production?

Status
Not open for further replies.