Definition of "protected wall"?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aries339

Dec 22, 2010
Chicago Area
Hi everyone,

I currently have Morso 1440 with double wall pipe, for which the side clearance to combustibles is 8 inches. I want to get a bigger stove but I'm really tight on space. I can find stoves with back clearances that work (like the Napoleon 1100), but I can't find side clearances less than 13 inches.

The side "wall" that I'm concerned about is actually a small masonry chimney the water heater uses. It's brick covered with plaster and paint.

Would you experts consider Brick-Plaster-Paint a combustible wall?

Thanks!

From the description it doesn't sound like a combustible wall unless there is wood in there.

For the description of it, this is not a combustible material, so you should be fine. Also, if in doubt, keep in mind that you can reduce clearances to combustible materials by installing heat radiation shields between the wall and the stove. Are you already set on the Napoleon 1100 stove or are you still looking for other options.. there are lots of other units with great value available for that size of stove. Regards!

Geppetto83 said:
For the description of it, this is not a combustible material, so you should be fine. Also, if in doubt, keep in mind that you can reduce clearances to combustible materials by installing heat radiation shields between the wall and the stove. Are you already set on the Napoleon 1100 stove or are you still looking for other options.. there are lots of other units with great value available for that size of stove. Regards!

BeGreen - thanks for the reply!

Heya Geppetto - No, I'm not set on the Napoleon. It just happens to be what I've found so far with lower clearances. The problem is finding a low-clearance stove which takes 16"+ logs. My Morso 1440 only takes 10 inch logs and it's next to impossible to find good firewood that small.

The inspectors in my area aren't very well-versed in wood stoves. They aren't common around here.

I might just go ahead and put a shield up to play it safe and make it "look safe" to any inspectors who come around when we sell the house years from now...

Oh and by all means - any suggestions on low-clearance stoves, especially once with convection shields or just built-in heat shields, would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Ty

Heya Geppetto - No, I'm not set on the Napoleon. It just happens to be what I've found so far with lower clearances. The problem is finding a low-clearance stove which takes 16"+ logs. My Morso 1440 only takes 10 inch logs and it's next to impossible to find good firewood that small.

The inspectors in my area aren't very well-versed in wood stoves. They aren't common around here.

I might just go ahead and put a shield up to play it safe and make it "look safe" to any inspectors who come around when we sell the house years from now...

Oh and by all means - any suggestions on low-clearance stoves, especially once with convection shields or just built-in heat shields, would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Ty[/quote]

Aries, always glad to help. I do work for wood stove manufacturer and we do have several units on different brands that can take logs bigger than 18’’. We have dealers in the Chicago area too. On the same size specs you can take a look at the Enerzone Solution 1.8 Wood Stove http://enerzone-intl.com/product.aspx?CategoId=1&Id=415 . This stove can take logs up to 19’’ and offer side clearances of 11’’ on single or double wall pipe! These clearances can still be reduced by half if using a radiation shield. I can provide you with more detail info, but you can find it directly on the owner’s manual of the Enerzone Solution 2.3 Wood Stove.

I think this will fit very well into what you’re looking for. Let me know if you wish to have more info on the product or the dealers near your area. I’ll be glad to assist!

Status
Not open for further replies.