dhw tank therm location, top or bottom?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyny

Feeling the Heat
Nov 16, 2007
upstate ny
I built a side arm with 2 pumps, one from the boiler and one on the dhw line. they are connected to an electric water heater , both elements removed. Hot water enters bottom element tapping and exits top. I am currently using the bottom thermostat from the water heater on the top bracket. Should it be on the bottom? The top water tappings are plumbed traditionally. Cold water enters the botom of the tank via the dip tube and hot water exits the top I am just not sure of the best location for the therm. If hot water from the side arm enters the bottom and cold water from the well also enters the bottom where is the best place for the therm? It seems to be working ok, but could it work better?

I would think if it is places of top than it will circ. water until the top of the tank is to temp. If on bottom than circ. water until bottom of tank is to temp. If I am understanding how you have it set up, placing it on the bottom will heat the entire tank up whereas if it is on top only the top of tank will be heated up. With your hot water circulating into the bottom and the cold coming into the bottom it might not always respond the same. IMHO it would seem to work better if the hot water circ. into the top and the therm. was located on the bottom. That way as soon as any col water comes into tank it will begin the heating process and yet you have hot water to draw off top of tank.

I have a similar setup . The hot water from the heat exchanger enters in the top, cold return at the bottom .The intake water is hooked up like a water heater should be with the cold entering the top through a dip tube and the hot comes out of the top. I have my circ pump hooked up to the bottom thermostat with it turned up a little hotter than the electric heater calls for . when the boiler is up to temp it stores up to 50 gallons of dhw.

Thanks,
It looks like all I have to do is reverse my circ direction. Boy would that be simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.