did i break my vacuum switch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vinny11950

Minister of Fire
May 17, 2010
Eastern Long Island, NY
I was cleaning the stove today, dusting in between the exchange tubes inside. To deal with the dust I turn on the stove. Exhaust motor ran, but error code blinked and no pellets dropped as the door was open and no pressure. That is what I wanted as the exhaust motor was sucking up the dust instead of it drifting into the house. Then I got carried away with the vacuum hose and placed it in the vacuum tube of the stove, which I always do when it is turned off. But now the stove was on. So as soon as I pass the vacuum hose on it, pellets begin to drop.

Oooppss.

Now when it runs, if I open the door, pellets keep dropping, which is not supposed to happen.

Any ideas?

Reactions: twpman
does not sound good. My guess is you applied way more vacuum to the switch then it was made for. most likely you broke it.

Check for aftermarket switches, they are much cheaper. Try grainger.com, there are plenty of others.
Please don't run the stove without a functioning switch - it's a safety matter!

crap. i was afraid of that. a $100 cleaning :(
Like heat seeker said, I think you can find a replacement at Grainger for about $25-35. Bring the old one with you so they can match it up. Their listed as "air sensing switches"

Status
Not open for further replies.