Did I get BURNED

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

infinitymike

Minister of Fire
Aug 23, 2011
Long Island, NY
I called a bunch of guys (before Irene) for "seasoned" firewood.
I want 24" splits for boiler.
After talking to several guys only 2 could provide 24" splits.
One guy wanted $200 delivered and stacked and the other guy wanted $175 delivered and dumped.

I went with the guy who would stack for 2 reasons.
1, he would stack and 2 he just sounded like a good guy, was very informative and had a good personality.
Im all about dealing with people I can get along with.

Any way when I got home Saturday he was almost done loading.

It was so green and wet I know it was split the same day.

I complained (a little) and he swears it will be ready to burn in a month.
Its almost all locust with the full rack being all maple.

I not a hard nose so even though I wanted to tell him to take it all back I just couldn't do it.

I also doubt that any one can get me seasoned 24" splits.

This will be my first year burning.
Im gettting a wood gun e100 gasser.

Do you guys think this will be decent enough by nov/dec?

1002935e.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Yes...2012.

YGM
Hmm...looks pretty green from the pics and I guess that meter don't lie.
Got anything dry on hand? Some county parks on LI allow cutting of dead standing and fallen, maybe could get you by for bit?

That wouldnt be a bad price up here for green locust though so I dont think the price was bad. These guys all do that, I always ask them when they split it, even then they'll say it will be ready to burn this year even if they split it in August. I think locust dries fairly quickly but not that quick.

Whenever you're getting the specific length you want chances are it was in log form, cut to your length, split and delivered.

If they delivered the agreed upon amount I don't think you got burned. You've just learned the lesson must of us do, it's very rare to buy seasoned wood. :)

weatherguy said:
That wouldnt be a bad price up here for green locust though so I dont think the price was bad. These guys all do that, I always ask them when they split it, even then they'll say it will be ready to burn this year even if they split it in August. I think locust dries fairly quickly but not that quick.

Locust and maple both season pretty quick. The wood may not be "ideal" for this winter, but you certainly won't freeze to death. And if you monitor your chimney/flue, you shouldn't burn to death either. :)

CountryBoy19 said:

The wood may not be "ideal" for this winter, but you certainly won't freeze to death. And if you monitor your chimney/flue, you shouldn't burn to death either. :)

I'd burn it, no question.
But it is a lesson, too. More drying time would give you a lower moisture content and a happier experience.
Splits dry so much faster than rounds.

Thats some green stuff ya got there. At least ya know who not to buy firewood from next year. Call your local tree guys,,,most of them will drop ya off wood for free.

Stick those Prongs on the Moisture Meter all the way in... The reading will be higher. I got the general in July... I can stick it on the outside of my Pine and get 8%. If I split a peice and bury the prongs, I get 16%... Its been sitting Since the 1st week of May.. It will have 5 months by the time I burn it. Even my Soft (Silver Maple) just got below 20%, Thats on one of my biggest splits (split in half). Some wwod seasons fast. I used to get 1 cord of Ash every year in Oct. I would burn this in my Pre-Fab fireplace... It burned well. But by Jan-Fed-March.. Burned much better.

You will get by. If your maple is Silver Maple. Burn it 1st and then the Locust.. You will give your better wood more time to season.

rdust said:
Whenever you're getting the specific length you want chances are it was in log form, cut to your length, split and delivered.

If they delivered the agreed upon amount I don't think you got burned. You've just learned the lesson must of us do, it's very rare to buy seasoned wood. :)

Very well said.

Another lesson we hope you learn: Buy today for what you will burn next winter, not this winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.