Did I get correct information?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blade050

Aug 24, 2010
NEPA
I have a oil hot water system in my home. A pellet boiler dealer told me that they can install a boiler and use my existing oil system as a backup. This would be done by disconnecting the water into the oil burner and connecting it to the pellet boiler. Then taking the out from the pellet boiler and connecting it to the in on the existing oil burner. This is done so the oil will only run if the the pellet boiler was not operating. I currently don't have a hot water tank the oil burner runs all year for hot water. He didn't mention any hot water storage tank for the pellet boiler.

blade050 said:
I have a oil hot water system in my home. A pellet boiler dealer told me that they can install a boiler and use my existing oil system as a backup. This would be done by disconnecting the water into the oil burner and connecting it to the pellet boiler. Then taking the out from the pellet boiler and connecting it to the in on the existing oil burner. This is done so the oil will only run if the the pellet boiler was not operating. I currently don't have a hot water tank the oil burner runs all year for hot water. He didn't mention any hot water storage tank for the pellet boiler.

Sounds like you are describing series piping of two boilers. Normally we would use parallel piping to keep the hot water from the boiler being operated out of the boiler that isn't being operated. In your case, however, since your oil boiler is making DHW, you need to keep hot water from the pellet boiler running through it to meet the DHW demand. Sounds like a reasonable scenario.

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.