Did I just waste 2 hours with my splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jambx

Jan 10, 2011
Southern Connecticut
Chestnut - I split quite a bit of it today thinking I would be a decent burning wood

I then did some research (on the web) which I find little however from what I read its not the best burning wood with low heat output and and spits (?)..

Should I just dig a hole and bury it?

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

~jim

Doesn't need to be Hickory to keep you warm.

It's all BTUs (as said here by someone)
Cut & split, I have a hole in my wood shed for you to bury it in :)

Shoulder season wood at the minimum.
It'll put out heat :)

If it burns it's all good............................

Mix it in with some better stuff, or send it over to me, Ill dispose of it properly for you

My philosophy is if it splits and stacks then it must be burnable.....enjoy the heat. :)

I have yet to come across a piece of wood that did not produce heat when burned. Would your time have been better spent processing 2 hours worth of hedge...probably. Was it wasted....absolutely not.

Well said lukem

Gotta agree with everyone else on here. When I was little and went to gather wood with Dad I'd sometimes ask if he wanted a certain piece if it was a different type or too long or short. His response was always the same "It'll burn!" I've taken that lesson to heart so I'll use it all. Chestnut can get you through the shoulder season so you can save your best wood for Dec-Feb. I have some poplar I'll be using in a similar manner this season. Good luck!

Let it dry and burn it for what it's worth. With modern stoves the difference between species doesn't seem so large anymore.

With my fisher I would go through a lot of trouble to make sure Ash was mixed in with other hardwoods as it wouldn't coal as much as beech, cherry, maple, etc. With my modern stove I can load it on ash and not hardly tell a difference in terms of time between reloads / heat output.

I certainly wouldn't bury this until your stove has consumed it!

pen

It is crap and an environmental hazard. All of it should be sent freight pre-paid C/O Brotherbart to the FedEx Freight terminal at Manassas, Virginia for government approved proper disposal.

pen said:
I certainly wouldn't bury this until your stove has consumed it!
And not even then. The ashes can be used to clean your glass! :cheese:

BrotherBart said:
It is crap and an environmental hazard. All of it should be sent freight pre-paid C/O Brotherbart to the FedEx Freight terminal at Manassas, Virginia for government approved proper disposal.

Typical shameless example of the feds taxing the woodburning taxpayer! :)

Ray

Sounds more like you spent 2 hours doing some fine work.

Of course chestnut won't compare with something like oak but when you consider there are many places where people burn nothing but cottonwood and others burn popple, that makes your chestnut sound not so bad. It will probably be about like popple which means it will heat your home but just not for long periods. That just means you will put more wood in sooner than you would if you burned harder wood. This really makes it great for burning during the spring and fall of the year or some Saturday or Sunday when you might sit on the couch and watch your favorite football team. I say get the rest split and stacked and you'll be happy.

BrotherBart said:

Glad someone got the joke!

It will burn,season it and use it fall and spring.I save my good stuff for dead of winter and burn the second rate stuff now till about thanksgiving and again after the weather breaks otherwise the good stuff just gets too hot and doesn't go out with lots of coal it stays heating too long

I'm an equal opportunity burner . . . you just gotta use the right wood for the right time of year and purpose. Some wood is better suited to the shoulder season fires when you just need a bit of heat to take the chill out of the air . . . other wood is good for kindling . . . other wood is fine if you're home for the day or evening and don't mind loading a bit more often . . . and then there is the primo wood. In my mind, it's all good . . .

if chestnut is like the yellow poplar here it's good for Fall and Spring fires when you want to just knock the chill off.

If you have a lot of it burn it on Weekends when you have spare time to spend loading the stove a few extra times and it can come in handy for that warmer weather when you've got a fire going and the windows and doors wide open.

It can come in handy to give away to anyone who thinks wood is cheap and you should part with some seeing as you have so much.
Even relatives. :)

Jambx said:
Chestnut - I split quite a bit of it today thinking I would be a decent burning wood

I then did some research (on the web) which I find little however from what I read its not the best burning wood with low heat output and and spits (?)..

Should I just dig a hole and bury it?

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

~jim
"A cord in the shed is worth two in the bush"

Here the "junk" wood is cottonwood. If a tree falls in my yard or nearby I'll cut and split it, but otherwise I don't go out of my way for it. Before I bought my stove I cleared some trees on my land, had 3-4 cords of cottonwood. I cut it all 16-18" and I couldn't even GIVE it away. Ended up hauling it all to my buddy, 100 mile round trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.