Did some splitting today!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdust

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
I had a vacation day to use up before the end of the year so I used it to get some splitting done. It was an awesome day to be outside and the sun was shining!

Anyway here are some pictures.

Here are two snow covered heaps I split a while back, one on the right is black locust, cherry is on the left. Only about a 1/3 cord between the two.
DSC_0606_2648.jpg

Here are two more heaps, one on the right is white ash, left is evil red oak.
DSC_0609_2655.jpg

Backside of same two heaps above.
DSC_0611_2653.jpg

Here is another heap of red oak, all this oak was on the ground when it was cut without bark for the most part. Some of it's a little soft but most looks pretty good.
DSC_0610_2654.jpg

With the exception of a few stragglers I'm caught up with my splitting so it's time to do some cutting. :)

rdust, looks like you had a great day for the splitting, nice job. What type of wood are you cutting next?

zap

Nice job! I have some maple to finish up, but it was definitely too cold and windy to undertake this task today. Maybe tomorrow.

zapny said:
rdust, looks like you had a great day for the splitting, nice job. What type of wood are you cutting next?

zap

Not sure, I don't have a wood lot so I just cut what people have available. We're on 3 acres with a bunch smaller white ash with 4 or 5 full sized ones that are dead/dying that need to come down so maybe I'll cut some of those. I also have near a dozen standing dead pines that need to come down. I've been holding off on dealing with those since they store better in the upright position. :) I have two poplars that are close to the neighbors house that need to come down but I'm going to bring someone in to drop those.

Are the big white balls in the woods buoys ?
I had some about half that size that I was going to paint and use as driveway markers at the end of the driveway or something and never got around to it. ( like the Target balls )
Amazingly heavy, surprised they float.

billb3 said:
Are the big white balls in the woods buoys ?
I had some about half that size that I was going to paint and use as driveway markers at the end of the driveway or something and never got around to it. ( like the Target balls )
Amazingly heavy, surprised they float.

If you're seeing what I think you're seeing I think it's a propane tank.

rdust, it surely was a great day to be outside working. Glad you got that split.

firefighterjake said:
If you're seeing what I think you're seeing I think it's a propane tank.

You would be correct. :)

Looks great! Weather here was real nice and I got some good splitting in too.

Nice work rdust - love getting the cutting and splitting done during this time of year - no bugs, less sweat but plenty warm, ahh.....good stuff! Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.