Didn't think he'd move that fast!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluedogz

Minister of Fire
Oct 9, 2011
NE Maryland
In my neighborhood there's an old man (91) who I don't know whether to admire or pity... he still cuts wood for a living, plows driveways, and does odd jobs.

So he dropped me off his F150 filled with hickory rounds on Sunday, and I told him "Yeah, if you scare up any more hickory I'll take whatever you can find."

Popped out to Home Cheapo early this AM to pick up some plumbing bits, on my return looked at the yard and thought "Did someone drive back to the woodlot?" and went on to fix the leaky pipe.

Three hours later I emerged from the basement (pipe fixed) to find this lined up along the back of the barn! The pile runs around 25 feet long and maybe 5 or 6 deep.

I'll keep my mouth shut next time.

Attachments

• IMG_0029.jpg
    IMG_0029.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 752
Wow! Can you send him my way? :) Can't beat split wood delivered to your house and free to boot!

I didn't say it was free... he shows up every now and again asking for cash. For this pile I reckon he's gonna ask me for a couple hunnert.

I'm pretty much ok with that.

bluedogz said:
I didn't say it was free... he shows up every now and again asking for cash. For this pile I reckon he's gonna ask me for a couple hunnert. I'm pretty much ok with that.

Bummer it isn't free ;-) ...but sounds like good service nonetheless!

I would admire him, I would bet one of the reasons he made it to 91 is because of how hard he works.

That is pretty resourceful having all that premium btu wood available. Good thing you know the old guy. Many would be happy to let you keep your eye teeth in trade for that wood. Others would charge you an arm an a leg for it and look for a tip to boot.

bluedogz said:
In my neighborhood there's an old man (91) who I don't know whether to admire or pity... he still cuts wood for a living, plows driveways, and does odd jobs.

So he dropped me off his F150 filled with hickory rounds on Sunday, and I told him "Yeah, if you scare up any more hickory I'll take whatever you can find."

Popped out to Home Cheapo early this AM to pick up some plumbing bits, on my return looked at the yard and thought "Did someone drive back to the woodlot?" and went on to fix the leaky pipe.

Three hours later I emerged from the basement (pipe fixed) to find this lined up along the back of the barn! The pile runs around 25 feet long and maybe 5 or 6 deep.

I'll keep my mouth shut next time.

Old School, sounds like he could out do most of us.

zap

[quote author="zapny" date="1321428777

Old School, sounds like he could out do most of us.

zap[/quote]

And then some... I admire that he's a motivated ol' feller. I just hope and pray that I won't HAVE to do what he does at 91.

Sounds like you live in a very nice neighborhood! Treat the old boy good; he deserves it.

91 ! Wow, God bless him. Yeah, he likes you. I bet it keeps him young and keeps him going. I hope that'll be me someday. Nothing to pity there. Pay him well!

Works a lot harder then most of the people my age (31) who look at me like i am crazy for putting in a indoor wood boiler when i just put in a new NG boiler. Then they go to the gym to work out for 2 hours and have to pay for it. Looks like a little manual labor keeps that old man going.

Sounds like you're hooked up with a living, walking, talking lesson in aging. Don't know how old you are, but for a sixty+ soul like myself I'd find it an honor and an inspiration.

Plus some of don't have to worry about doing anything at 91 8^)

Littlalex

I said "pity" at the risk of sounding condescending... I do admire that the ol' fella is still kicking and actively looking to work.

What I really meant was that I hope not to be forced to hustle for a dollar if I'm blessed enough to be that old.

Interesting tidbits from him:
Me: "Hey, Elliot, just drop off the rounds and I'll split them."
Him: "What- you think I can't swing a maul?"

Me: "Elliott, we've got like 3 years worth of wood. I can't afford to pay you for more."
Him: "You'll get paid eventually...You haven't shorted me yet in 10 years. Just pay me whenever." (True)

Elliot - I don't think anyone misunderstood your meaning and I totally share your feelings. It's one thing to be hale and active and old, it's another to have to be to get by...or else. We all gotcha.

Peace,
Littlalex

Whatever you do treat him right, A lot of older folks work on a verbal contract and he probably needs the money.

The guy has probably never ask for a hand out, or bail out in his life or took advantage of anybody.
What he has he worked for. He believes a hand shake & a mans word is better than a piece of paper any day.
Lots of respect here.

I surely would like to be like him when I grow up.

Status
Not open for further replies.