diesel filler restriction?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pybyr

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jun 3, 2008
Adamant, VT 05640
Hello all--

I'm the new owner of a 1989 Ford F350 7.3 diesel 4x4 with only 12700 miles and an aluminum toolbox body. It's a former Air Force and then volunteer fire truck.

Fill pipe for the fuel tank is on the work-body, and although the fill pipe diameter is large, it has one of those inner restrictors, the same sort that vehicles started to have when the change-over to unleaded gas began. This means that I can only use certain diesel pumps with the smaller fill nozzles.

I expect that the inner restrictor is there only because the work body was made by Reading to go on a variety of vehicles, some of which may have used unleaded gas.

Is there any good reason not to remove the fill restrictor? Any tips on the best/ easiest way to remove it with a minimum of cussing, injured knuckles, or risk of metal particles going down the filler?

Thanks

might be a rubber hose that connects the filler pipe to the tank. remove the hose do your best maybe with a hammer and chisel or a dent puller. never had to remove that so not sure how to remove the restricter, but almost 95 % sure about the rubber hose. disconnect it so you don't get any junk in the tank.

Didn't know they even had the 7.3 in 89. Are you sure it isn't the old 6.9 liter? It certainly isn't a powerstroke. I always liked the sound of those old indirect injected ford diesels. Kinda gurgly.

Since you're dealing with a toolbox body the fuel fitting is likely pretty universal. Might try and just replace it with a new high flow filler from a truck stop or NAPA. You don't want junk falling into the tank and you don't want to create leaks where mud and water can get in. The high flow nozzles fit into my 2000 F350 diesel and they are very nice to use.

It's indeed a 7.3, no turbo or any other complicated stuff. Stone age simple, which I like. Thanks for the suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.