Difference in surface temp between single wall and double wall pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nonprophet

Minister of Fire
Jan 27, 2009
Oregon
In an effort to get our new Oslo to burn better, I've re-done our chimney. I was using single wall pipe from the stove to the wall thimble, but in scoring some used 6" class A stove pipe I got a couple pieces of basic double wall for inside use. So my question is, what's the difference in surface temps between the two as measured by a magnetic thermometer?

With the single wall pipe I was always shooting for about a 300 degree temp 12" or so up the pipe, but what temps should I be shooting for with the double wall? Logic tells me 1/2 (i.e. 150-200 degrees should be good) but then again the clearances go from 18" with single wall to 1/3 of that (6") with double wall--so 1/3 the surface temp i.e. 100 degrees?? FWIW with between a 450-500 degree stove top temp, the double wall pipe is running about 180-200 degrees.

Thanks!

NP

I'm afraid that a magnetic thermometer is just about useless on double wall pipe. To get a flue temp. on double wall you would need a probe type thermometer but their accuracy has been debated not too long ago. I have one for my double wall but don't really go by its reading as it reaches 1000 °F before my stove even reaches 450. I kinda use the magnetic thermometer on my stove top but when comparing 2 of them side by side they differ anywhere from the same to 125 degrees off . Hope that helps

Status
Not open for further replies.