Digital Photographer expert advice sought...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

purplereign

Dec 21, 2009
NW Wis
I am looking to take a step up from my point and shoot digital camera. I like taking pictures, but am not a hard-core photography guy - like playing with some effects, closeups, etc. as well as a wide variety of indoor and outdoor shots. I don't think I am ready for a full fledged D SLR, but I am intrigued by the "super zooms" that seem to be just a bit below that level. Cameras I am considering are Nikon Coolpix P90 24X; Canon PowerShot SX 20 IS, and Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ 35. It seems as if the Panasonic may get the best reviews, but I have no experience with Panasonic cameras. Any advice/recommendations/caveats anyone might have would be welcome.

Go with a Digital SLR camera. You will not regret it. Biggest pluses are no delays in pressing the button and when the picture is taken. This is huge if you are trying to take pictures of kids or action shots, etc. Also the number of lens never ends and you can also get a great all purpose lens. The only negative can be the price (although they have come way down and you are getting up there with what you are looking at) and the size (again - same as the last comment - what you are looking at isn't much different). Check out www.dpreview.com as it is a great site for camera stuff. Good luck

I 2nd what Eric said especially if you're taking any action shots. We have both types of cameras you mentioned and the point and shoot gets little use now. We paid about $200 for our Canon P&S and just over $500 for our DSLR with 2 zoom enses. We found it worth the $300 difference. Big lenses gather more light and make a huge difference in image quality and camera capability.

Oh yeah, the delay between button press and the camera taking the picture can drive you crazy with a P&S. Whichever way you decide to go I urge you to try them out first before you buy.

+2, and get one with a CMOS sensor for a lot less noise in the image.

Nikon D5000 dslr. Great introductory slr. I've got the D90 which is has a few more features/options but uses the same sensor. Both are excellent cameras, and the D5000 won't break the bank for a novice photographer.

All of that stuff is good, especially the Nikon D5000 (for the price!)

But let me suggest an alternative that represents the conclusion I came to - and that is the new format of what is called micro 4/3.

These are cameras with all the benefits of an SLR, but more compact and, frankly, built for digital photography as opposed to being carryovers from the film world.

These cameras have interchangeable lenses, but are smaller than the DSLRs. They allow you to travel lighter and be less conspicuous.

Olympus just came out with a really compact model -
http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/03/25/review-olympus-e-pl1-micro-43-digital-camera/

I have the G1 Panasonic in Blue....cool camera, and you don't stand out while taking pics....just a normal tourist, as it looks more like a superzoom than an SLR.

Status
Not open for further replies.