Direct Vent Radiant/Infrared ???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter B.

Feeling the Heat
Feb 27, 2008
SW Wisconsin
Last fall, I bought a propane wall furnace to supplement the wood stove I've burned for years (which is showing its age and can not hold a fire overnight).

For a variety of reasons, I chose a low cost, medium efficiency, direct vent model over other units available.

The heat output is primarily convective, and of course, I'm used to a nice radiant 'glow' from the wood stove.

I looked for direct vent infrared / radiant propane heaters / furnaces at the time, but could find none... and searching again today (out of idle curiosity) I still find none.

I wonder why a direct vent radiant doesn't seem to be practicable? I'd think an added fan would help circulate heat convectively (as desired).

Can the experts here explain this lack?

Thanks...

Peter B.

-----

My knowledge of gas heater design is near nil, and I don't mind being called ignorant for having asked what I did in my first post.

I guess a direct vent fireplace would be about as close to what I was suggesting as I'm aware.

But having burned wood for so many years, I'm afraid I would never be convinced looking at a 'bogus' gas flame... and (again) I'm surprised that no direct vent radiant / plaque infrared heaters seem to exist... business-like radiant heaters that don't happen to be vent free.

Maybe I'm only a market of one, but I'd think there might be more like me.

PB

-----

Status
Not open for further replies.