Disconnect splitter from tow vehicle before using?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Intheswamp

Jun 25, 2010
South Central Alabama
I was looking through a Speeco splitter manual and saw where they recommend that the splitter be disconnected from the tow vehicle before using. It seems that it would help to stabilize the splitter. I understand that if the tow vehicle causes the splitter to not be level that it would need to be disconnected but other than that why should it be disconnected? Would it be a safety issue to give the operator a larger work or "escape" area or is there a functional reason for disconnecting it?

Ed

Intheswamp said:
I was looking through a Speeco splitter manual and saw where they recommend that the splitter be disconnected from the tow vehicle before using. It seems that it would help to stabilize the splitter. I understand that if the tow vehicle causes the splitter to not be level that it would need to be disconnected but other than that why should it be disconnected? Would it be a safety issue to give the operator a larger work or "escape" area or is there a functional reason for disconnecting it?

Ed

Because their lawyer told them to put it in the manual. That way if an owner does something stupid involving the vehicle in any way, they are off the hook.

/cynic mode

WhitePine said:
Intheswamp said:

Ed

Because their lawyer told them to put it in the manual. That way if an owner does something stupid involving the vehicle in any way, they are off the hook.

/cynic mode
That makes sense, actually... Somebody (wife late for hair appointment...daughter rushing to comfort a girlfriend that just got dumped by her boyfriend...son rushing to get the spurned girl on the rebound) could jump into the vehicle and take off, trapping the operator of the splitter and running over them. I really don't see that happening unless you have some really stupid people hanging around...but stupidity appears to be epidemic these days and many accidents are caused by it. Disconnecting a battery cable on the tow vehicle should possibly prevent that from happening.

Somebody driving off with the tow vehicle while the splitter is operating or to level up the splitter are the only things I (at the moment) can think of that would warrant disconnecting the splitter from the vehicle.

The manual also warned about stepping across or straddling the splitter...might raise the pitch of your voice a few octaves. :eek:hh:

Ed

"The manual also warned about stepping across or straddling the splitter…might raise the pitch of your voice a few octaves."

Guffaw!! Just this morning, I was filling a portable air tank from my pancake compressor, and I sat on the tank as I did it. But I got to wondering if the air tanks ever exploded for some reason... And how that wouldn't be a pretty picture...

Nancy

kettensäge said:
I drag mine to the woodpile with my ATV. I Leave it hooked and drag it back to garage when finished.

Same here . . .

Also can't say as though I've even entertained the thought of attempting to straddle my splitter.

Ed...that was funny. Reminds me of when one of the hottest girls in town(in my mind) called me up to come over(after numerous beggings by me). I had just taken my tape deck out of the dash(don't remember why) and left it sitting on the roof of the car. Going down the road cars were honking and flashing lights at me and I realized when I got to her house the tape deck was still on the roof. Don't know how it stayed there and actually don't even remember her name :)

Almost all OPE manuals today will tell you to add fuel in an open area away from other equipment or combustibles.

SENARIOS:

You refuel your hot splitter engine and it catches fire.
Your engine fails and catches fire for some reason.
A spark or hot muffler ignites some some saw chips or leaves.

Will you be able to get to get in past the flames to unhitch your splitter and move your truck to a safe area?

I know some of these things are unlikely, but they have happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.