Distance from chimney to power line

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wendell

Minister of Fire
Jan 29, 2008
NE Iowa
The location for my new stove is going to end up with the chimney only being a couple feet from where my power line enters the house. Being a "it's better to ask forgiveness than permission" kind of guy, I'm thinking about just going with it but thought I would toss it out here and see if anybody would know if there were any rules about such things. There is only one other place i could put the stove but it would be less than ideal, would mean going up through 2 stories instead of one and would be a much bigger pain to clean.

The power line coming into your house is 220 volt and insulated, no worries about clearance as long as its not beating against it or melting the insulation off the wire ;)

Now if there is a local code, im not sure, that varies so much depending on where youre at but from a common sense point I would just make sure the wires wouldnt be getting in the hot exaust.

I'm going to be at least a foot higher and about 3 feet to the east so I would think the heat shouldn't be an issue?

Wendell, I'd call both the power company and the township. I doubt there are codes but it is best to check first and be sure.

It is 3.5 feet but he didn't seem too concerned if I cheated on that a little bit. Which means I will still probably have to move out the stove from the wall a bit more than I wanted (because as I'm thinking about it, it would probably only be a bit less than 2 ft. away).

Status
Not open for further replies.