diy englander 30 insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rob bennett

Feb 19, 2008
Lynden, Washington
This is more a theoretical question then one I am actually going to pursue....I think.
Is there any code violation with taking a englander 30 (or other stove) and wrapping it with a sheetmetal box similar to the summit or other succesful wood burning insert? I would still keep the legs. The front cover plate would take a bit of work to make look nice...
Then shove the box into the fireplace opening liter up and turn the fan on.

reasons I would want to do this,
I don't want to see the dirty brick in my old fireplace
I think it would be somewhat more efficient then heating the surrounding brick
I just gotta mess with stuff

What do you think?
Rob

Ok, I'll cut it down.

Would there be any issues with turning a freestanding stove into an insert?

Rob

I found that a five dollar can of black high temp spray paint for the bricks and a block off plate were a lot easier and accomplished what you are after.

Alternatively you could make a metal liner for the fireplace. This has an advantage in that you could put insulation behind it to save losing heat through the back of the fireplace.

Yeah, I think maybe I'd figure out something to do with the fireplace rather than something to do with the stove. I really like the look of hearth stove installs, and it seems to me that fashioning some sort of surround for it would pretty much destroy that look. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.