DIY shifter knobs advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to make porcelain skulls etc as shifter knobs, but looking online there seem to be a lot of thread sizes and adapter kits etc. Threading the material directly is not an option, so I'll need to epoxy in an insert of some type.

Anyone here have a good source for these? Anyone here a car person that's bought a shifter- is there a standard size threaded insert that you buy an adapter for? (I'd much rather buy one size threaded insert for these)

Granite counter installers use threaded inserts. They are brass with knurled exterior, meant to be epoxied. Don't know what to tell you about thread sizes, some are likely metric?

If you are looking for sources in general, are you familar with McMaster-Carr? They have every fastening imaginable. They may have an online presence.

Dune- I know Mcmaster and Grainger etc- I just need to know if there's a standard size that people would recommend. I'd like to source out something "universal" or as close as possible, and just need the recommendation on what that might be.

VF- some use set screws as well

You could prolly save yourself some hassle by installing a sleeve with a set screw in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.