Do Ceramic logs rob heat from Pellet Insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

forya

Feb 18, 2010
Bucks County Pa
I have a new Harman Accentra insert. When I had it installed they didn't have my log set, I ran it without one for 2 weeks. Now that I got it, it seems like I am having to run the fire much higher to get the same amount of heat, Is this just a coincidence, and there is another issue, or do the logs actually rob heat?

I hate to chime in when I'm not familiar with your exact setup, but has the recent cold snap happened since you got your log set?
It's good to check all avenues, but maybe its just as simple as its colder out now and you need to run it more for that reason.

no, they dont. Im not a fan of the ceramic logs, as they make it MUCH more difficult to do your weekly burn pot scraping...they sit in front of the fire necessitating removing the logs to scrap...the logs are DELICATE, and end up getting covered in ash, then cease looking like logs, and look more like ash too...yuck....but no, IMO, they dont impede the airflow to the heat exchangers at all.....more likely a bit of ash accumulation on the exchangers

I think the best way to find out if they do, is to get a stove thermometer. Run it with and without the logs on the same heat settings (using the same pellets) and see what it says.

Thanks for the quick replies. It has been cold since we got it installed, maybe even a little warmer now. I also notice that the glass is getting a grey/brownish stain in the upper left of the glass, and the flames don't hug the back cast, but reside in the center of the box towards the glass. Does this reduce the heat output? Could there be a leaky glass gasket? Am I just crazy, and should stop trying to heat an entire 2200 sq ft house with 1 pellet insert?

I never offered logs to my customers. they just make more work for your self. and make the glass get dirty sooner.

on my invincible when the logs are installed i get less heat output
i think they divert the flame from the heat exchanger
because they stick out so far
also they do not hold heat like the firebrick
they do insulate the back of the stove from the flame
just my observation on my stove

The only thing the log set did for me was to make cleaning my stove a hassle.

Same here on the hassle to clean. I have two sets of those things ONLY to appease my wife. Since she doesn't clean the stoves, they are sitting in a box until either she starts cleaning them or it's the end of the season. Then I'll put them back in 'just so it looks pretty'........................

The first two burning seasons with my Accentra I used the logs and had no real complaints with them, I took them out in Jan. to clean the stove and figured I'd burn for a while with them out just to see if I saw any difference... I like the looks of the stove burning with them out much better than in, and I too will now only use them in the summer to just look pretty!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.