do fiberglass rods bend?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joesat78

Jul 13, 2008
Central PA
I have a 30 degree bend in my SS liner. I was trying to buy the below to clean the chimney

http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-3743/5-Piece,-4'-Fiberglass/Detail

I called and spoke to them about how much the rod bends. She said it will bend to some extent, but it won't bend much as its made of fiberglass (not sure how much). Has anyone bought from here? or have similar fiberglass rods? My local stove/chimney dealer is asking for $21 for a 5' foot fiberglass rod, where as here I'm getting the whole kit for $20.

Any ideas?

Also, I found a 8 in poly brush in the same site (http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-42020/8"-Round-Poly-Chimney/Detail). The representative said the bristles are flexible. My chimney is 6 in in both ends and ovalized in the middle section. Should I go with the 8 in or the 6 in brush?

Thank you guys

Go to the dealer and see how much the stuff bends. I use pvc water pipe as my rod. It won't make it through the bend in the bottom of mine, but I usually don't clean that far down.

I have 2 bends in my s/s liner. ( I don't know the angles). I cleaned my chimney yesterday. I have 3 sections of 6' fiberglass rods with a poly brush. I had no problems getting through the angles and they are pretty close together.

Sure they bend. How much they bend depends on how they're made and what the dimensions are. A 1/4" diameter rod is generally more flexible than a 3/8" diameter rod, for example. If you wonder about the bending characteristics of fiberglass, just go on down to the local sporting goods store and check out a few fiberglass fishing rods. Chimney cleaning rods are available in at least two different diameters. I'm sure you'll be able to find something that will successfully negotiate a 30 degree offset. Rick

They bend well - almost too much as it is hard to clean long runs of flex pipe. They begin to give a bit as you exert more pressure - as mine do when I get out about 12-14 feet and hit the beginning of the bend to the stove. Next cleaning I will just do the top 6-10 feet with the rods and then just pull it through into the stove.

CTwoodburner said:
They bend well - almost too much as it is hard to clean long runs of flex pipe. They begin to give a bit as you exert more pressure - as mine do when I get out about 12-14 feet and hit the beginning of the bend to the stove. Next cleaning I will just do the top 6-10 feet with the rods and then just pull it through into the stove.

Do you know whether urs is 1/4'' or 3/8''?
I'll make a visit to Dick's and check out a few fiberglass fishing rods... Hope I won't break them trying to see how much they bend.

Careful, Joe...if you're a fisherman, you're likely to fall in love with an $800.00 carbon fiber composite rig and forget all about sweeping your chimney. :lol: Rick

fossil said:
Careful, Joe...if you're a fisherman, you're likely to fall in love with an $800.00 carbon fiber composite rig and forget all about sweeping your chimney. :lol: Rick

It would be nice if we could "fish" creosote out of the chimney...

joesat78 said:
It would be nice if we could "fish" creosote out of the chimney...
Drop a line. Tie the brush to it. Reel it in. Repeat as often as needed.

I have two 30 degree elbows to offset my chimney and my fiberglass rods have no problem making the bend.

mellow said:
they bend like the dickens, kinda makes it hard to push the brush down...
As you're pusing down, apply a rotational force. This will help overcome some of the resistance and help the unions get past obstacles.

joesat78 said:
My chimney is 6 in in both ends and ovalized in the middle section. Should I go with the 8 in or the 6 in brush?

Thank you guys

6"
You probably won't get the 8" in there. And if you somehow managed to, you'd have a real tough time getting it back out.

joesat78 said:
I have a 30 degree bend in my SS liner. I was trying to buy the below to clean the chimney

http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-3743/5-Piece,-4'-Fiberglass/Detail

I called and spoke to them about how much the rod bends. She said it will bend to some extent, but it won't bend much as its made of fiberglass (not sure how much). Has anyone bought from here? or have similar fiberglass rods? My local stove/chimney dealer is asking for $21 for a 5' foot fiberglass rod, where as here I'm getting the whole kit for $20.

Any ideas?

Also, I found a 8 in poly brush in the same site (http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-42020/8"-Round-Poly-Chimney/Detail). The representative said the bristles are flexible. My chimney is 6 in in both ends and ovalized in the middle section. Should I go with the 8 in or the 6 in brush?

Thank you guys

They look like the same one's they sale at Lowe's. I think HD also sales them.

Look by the duct work section.

Jimbob said:
joesat78 said:
My chimney is 6 in in both ends and ovalized in the middle section. Should I go with the 8 in or the 6 in brush?

Thank you guys

6"
You probably won't get the 8" in there. And if you somehow managed to, you'd have a real tough time getting it back out.

won't i have the same problem with the 6'' one in the ovalized section? Anyway, i've ordered the 6'' brush, I think I should buy a 5'' too. Thought the bristles would be flexible enough. I'll wait till the shipment arrives.

The HD and Lowes near my home unfortunately do not have any stocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.