Do I need the universal flue adapter for my stove pipe (NC-30 stove)?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceisasolid

Jan 3, 2011
North Central Idaho
Greetings,

Does a universal flue collar adapter need to be used with the double wall stove pipe for the NC-30? Currently, I am using a stove adapter, attached to the adjustable double wall pipe, attached to the chimney pipe.

I recently used clear silicone which I had left over from the install to seal up known air leaks in the pipe connections. Since the sealing did has done what I hoped it would do, I am going to scrape it off and replace it with black high temp silicone (so it looks better). The double wall pipe will reach to the flue collar and settle down firm on it. I would like to use the least number of pieces as possible to minimize air leaks and use less sealer.

As always, your input is appreciated.

-Ray

Are you using the double wall to reduce clearances to combustibles? If not, why not just stove pipe to stove adapter to chimney pipe?

Yes, the double wall is for reduced clearance.

iceisasolid said:
The double wall pipe will reach to the flue collar and settle down firm on it.
-Ray
I would want whatever connects to the flue collar to fit down inside of it, rather than just "on it," and be screwed/riveted into place...

Yes, Simpson Duravent makes a special Double Skirted adapter for the 30NC flue collar. It has a smaller than normal inner pipe, which will slip into the flue collar on the the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.