do i seal the insert adapter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nola mike

Minister of Fire
Sep 13, 2010
Richmond/Montross, Virginia
nearly done with my insert install. wanted to know if i needed to seal the connection between the insert adapter and stove (and adapter and liner for that matter) with silicon or furnace cement or...

The area is too high temp for silicone, but it won't hurt to seal it with furnace cement.

I asked my stove dealer this question and he said it isn't necessary if you have sufficient draft. So I didn't seal mine (just secured with screws) and haven't had any problems.

There is a slight vacuum at the bottom of a flue, so some air will leak in & reduce your draft. A well-fitting collar won't really let much air in though, so you'd likely never notice a difference. I sealed that and the adapter to flex-pipe connection with furnace cement. No big deal either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.