Do ignitors fail in "graduated increments"? Winslow PS40

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cptmoney

Jan 29, 2009
Western Colorado
My stove has been doing some weird things lately, all linked to the ignitor, I believe.

I have a 2007 Winslow PS40 stove, and have burned approximately 2 tons a year for the past 3 winters in a row.

I do my best to keep it clean (blower motors, what interior I can get to, the flue gas passageway, the vent pipe), but have not had it professionally cleaned since installation. It's on this summer's "to do" list.

My ignitor is glowing on the back side (through the "peep hole" near the wires), but still no ignition. Once the ignition cycle fails, I can literally reach into the burn pot with bare hands and scoop out the pellets to empty it and start all over.

I've replaced the ignitor once, and found that it's lasted roughly 1.5 winters. It's due to be changed, as far as time in use is considered.

Here's my question: if it's glowing at the tail, is there any chance that at the face of the ignitor it's NOT glowing/getting hot? Do ignitors fail mid-way like that?

It's acting as though the ignitor isn't getting hot enough to ignite.

I've reset the ignitor to ensure that it's all the way forward, and actually touching the burn pot. Still no dice.

Good news is that we're almost out of the freezing cold weather here in western CO. Just really need it in the earliest morning to take the edge off of the chill.

Any thoughts?

Guess it would be pretty easy to test, wouldn't it?

Just pull the ignitor out of the its slot, hold it with some rubber-handled pliers and start the ignition sequence. See if the ignitor is read and glowing all the way through.

If it is, THEN what?

Cross that bridge when we get there...

Guess I've just answered my own question!

Amazing what happens when you just stop and think. Weird.

Can't believe I missed this thread cptmoney. The answer to your question is an emphatic "YES!!!" I have replaced my ignitor 4 times since I bought the stove back in 2003. The store replaced it twice free of charge and I have dished out $120 twice for the other two. Your math seems to be correct in that the ignitors last about 1.5 to 2 years. The ignitor is just like a bbq charcoal briquette lighter, the electrified induction heater coil you place under a mound of charcoal briquettes. Over time the coil loses its effectiveness and breaks down. It begins at the tip that comes near to contacting the burn pot and then works its way down to the peep hole. Problem is that you can still see the ignitor working through the hole, but not at the end. Hear is what I do to check. Start the stove and let er go. Once you see the ignitor has been on for about a minute, quickly open the door, use gloves if necessary, pick up the burnpot and there you go. If it's not glowing then there you go. Replace the ignitor. Cheaper to buy it from the Lennox parts store in New Jersey. No tax.

Looks like we're in the same boat with the same stove. I also purchased mine at the end of '07. Worked fine until last night. Igniter is doing the same thing. Gotta tell ya, replacing this every couple of years kinda takes the "Savings" out of owning a pellet stove. What a ripoff. I REALLY have little interest in learning how to replace this thing now.

davidsco27 said:
Looks like we're in the same boat with the same stove. I also purchased mine at the end of '07. Worked fine until last night. Igniter is doing the same thing. Gotta tell ya, replacing this every couple of years kinda takes the "Savings" out of owning a pellet stove. What a ripoff. I REALLY have little interest in learning how to replace this thing now.

Here's the deal...GOING GREEN COSTS LOTS OF MONEY!!!!!! At least in it's present form. Take a Prius or Volt for example. THE MOST PREMIUM FORM OF ENERGY IS ELECTRICITY. YOU HAVE TO BURN COAL OR GO NUCLEAR TO MAKE IT CHEAPLY!!!! Our pellet stoves take electricity. A Volt car takes an electrical charge from burning either coal, nuclear or you name it. It doesn't use solar or wind power. People wake up, I did, I use a pellet stove because it make me FEEL GOOD. I feel so warm inside from going green. Whether it actually amounts to a hill of beans I can't say. Until pellet stoves are mainly lit by using other means, then anytime you run it, it takes electricity...OK, rant over.

Yes, I hate switching out my ignitor...it takes hours and cost over $100 to replace it...I don't save money on my pellet stove, but it does allow me to keep my house a lot warmer. I highly doubt I have saved any money or TIME for that matter from the stove.

The electric use is negligible, especially where I live, since it's municipal subsidized electric. Pellets were a lot cheaper this year, so I was counting on some heating savings as the cost per BTU of the pellet stove is less than what my gas company charges me to heat my home. unfortunately, adding a $100 plus expense every couple of years takes away from savings. There is simply NO excuse that a $100 part should need replacing that often. NONE. Shame on Lennox/Country Stoves, whatever, for making one.

davidsco27 said:
The electric use is negligible, especially where I live, since it's municipal subsidized electric. Pellets were a lot cheaper this year, so I was counting on some heating savings as the cost per BTU of the pellet stove is less than what my gas company charges me to heat my home. unfortunately, adding a $100 plus expense every couple of years takes away from savings. There is simply NO excuse that a $100 part should need replacing that often. NONE. Shame on Lennox/Country Stoves, whatever, for making one.

I am with you 100%. I'm not ranting at anyone on this board, it's just me and the whole imaginary green thing that is going on in this country. You save money on paper, but the time that you spend getting a pallet of pellets sucks up my savings. Cleaning it, maintaining it versus plugging in an electrical appliance, at times, makes me wonder what in the world I was thinking when I bought the stove. Nonetheless, I do love my stove...when it works...

When I bought my Quest Plus the dealer suggested I not get one with a self-starter as they would not last long.

I start mine with Rutland Safe Lite Fire Starter Squares. No doubt other companies make similar products.

I break off one square, tear it in fourths, drop them in the pot and light them with a propane charcoal lighter. No need to put a handful of pellets in the pot, just light and start the stove. The starter stuff burns for about 8 minutes, plenty of time to get the pellets well lite.

I've been using this product for four years now without a problem. I started with a gel produce that clung to the pellets but often would not get them going and would have to put in more gel.

I haven't had to replace my electric starter-what a savings.

Yea, we used to light our old Whitfield that way. But that method takes away the convenience of the Thermostat that we have our on. We could set it and forget it. Now I'd have to do it manually. Lennox Tech Support recommended the Gel. I've used both, but agree, the squares, I think, work better

Status
Not open for further replies.