Do you do anything with new chains before using them?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kong

Nov 28, 2009
North Eastern West Virginia
When I buy a new chain the first thing I do is drop it in a can of bar oil and let it set overnight. The next day I'll hang it up over the jug for a while to let the excess oil drip off, then I put it on the saw a little bit tight and fire that bugger up. I spin the chain for a minute or two and then retension it before first use. I'll check the tension again after just a little while, maybe 15~20 minutes use, and then after that its just another chain.

I know a lot of guys just take 'em out of the box and bolt 'em on - let her rip.

How about you?

Adios Pantalones said:
Install.

They tend to stretch and require care for a couple gallons of gas, but I don't do anything before.

+1 just seem to be good to go out of the box

The chains have been pretty well greased and should need no more than what the saw spits on them. Just put it on but tighten often for the first couple of tanks of gas. They you are ready to roll.

I always check the raker heights on new chains. With stihl theyre almost always too high. Otherwise just install.

Bolt it on, let the saw warm up, and start cutting. check tension every 2nd or third cut and be done with it. then again, I only use a "NEW" chain every 3 years or so, still have about 10 used ones for each saw. (see lazy cutter that hated to sharpen) Those ones are hanging on the wall but the get sprayed with street bike chain was before being hung up.

I use them right out of the box, and it seems to work fine. If there is a better way, I'd try it, but I have never heard anything about pretreating chains before use until this thread.

Kong said:
When I buy a new chain the first thing I do is drop it in a can of bar oil and let it set overnight. The next day I'll hang it up over the jug for a while to let the excess oil drip off, then I put it on the saw a little bit tight and fire that bugger up. I spin the chain for a minute or two and then retension it before first use. I'll check the tension again after just a little while, maybe 15~20 minutes use, and then after that its just another chain.

I know a lot of guys just take 'em out of the box and bolt 'em on - let her rip.

How about you?

Please, clue me in. Why do you dip it in oil ? What is your theory ?

Well, no theory really. I know the chain has oil on it from the factory but that's sort of meaningless. The oil that chain saw at the factory was there to cool the grinder, not lubricate the finished chain - it certainly wasn't anything like oil you would put in the saw to lubricate the chain later.

Next thing is that guide bars are expensive, the most expensive replacement part. When a chain drops into the grove on my bar I want it dripping with oil. I'll let the excess spin off and let the oil pump take care of its needs later, but I don't want to start with an essentially dry chain in that grove.

Biggest thing? It doesn't cost me hardly anything (the bar oil that I use to soak the chain gets poured through a paint filter and back into the bottle) and gives me great peace of mind, the rivets and rubbing points between the straps and cutters are as well lubricated as I can make them and I know of no place where two or more pieces of metal are in contact and less lubrication is better than more.

I untangle mine and bleed a little on em from time to time after that their good to go.

It certainly doesn't hurt to soak it.

Doubt it is ncessary, though.

Some people really do an extraordinary job cleaning thier tools when they're done using them, too.

I know that at least Oregon says to pre-soak their chains before installing, but I never have, and they seem to still work OK... I suspect that if one did pre-soak, it would probably either not stretch out as much, or take longer to do so...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.