Do you use a planer on milled boards?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
Jay, and others, do you plane yours after you mill the smaller slabs? table top planer, power tool type planing, hand planing, whatever.

Just toying around with this little mill i got for christmas and have a slab cut out of a round, it's pretty rough, to the point that sanding it would probably take around 30 years with 60 grit. Ok, slight exaggeration, but you get the idea.

Quite impressed with the milling capabilities of the Blue Maxx through that 18" round and almost complete bar in the wood. can only imagine what the right saw would feel like (and chain).

Ok, I sand everything with a d/a sander starting with 40 grit. I feel it just gives you a thicker board with a much nicer finnish. I really like useing d/a sander'a for everything. Even down to a 1500 grit poly finnish.

smokinjay said:
Ok, I sand everything with a d/a sander starting with 40 grit. I feel it just gives you a thicker board with a much nicer finnish. I really like useing d/a sander'a for everything. Even down to a 1500 grit poly finnish.
air powered or electric?

Danno77 said:
smokinjay said:
air powered or electric?

Both I have 6 inch electric and 2 3inch air ones 15000 rpm d/a and one 2000rpm circle polisher. (I use it after the finish is done dry buff)

Depends on what the intended use for the plank,board or piece.If its durable native wood like walnut,white oak or cedar & something thats built for outdoors,it dont get further planing or sanding.When my mill is set correctly,ripping chain is sharp,the finished surface is equal to a 6 hook tooth bimetal bandsaw blade.Anything else thats indoors like for furniture,cabinets etc will get run through 12 1/2" planer later.If its wider than that,I use 19th century 9 pound Scottish 21" Low Angle Jointer Plane w/ 2 1/2" wide 1/4" thick chatter-free iron to level & smooth any surfaces.Smaller boards get same treatment,with smaller yet heavy plane.Plus a Toothing Plane (looks like regular Smooth Plane but with almost vertical & finely serrated cutter for any irregular grain/small knots) without tearout.

Status
Not open for further replies.