does anyone know this splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fbelec

Minister of Fire
Nov 23, 2005
Massachusetts
ok guys, question of the week. does anybody know this log splitter. the splitter has the company name and address and phone #, but, the company is no longer at that phone # or address. the company name is thrush. the model is woodsman. this has a 5 horse b+g engine and no hydraulics. it uses a big screw like a genie garage door opener. the back pulley broke and i needed to replace it and no one had anything close. it was a pulley with a v belt glued on it, but when i was to use it i could not keep the belt on. the glue would let go and tear off the belt. so even thou it looks like a mess it works well i put screws thru it. to go forward to split a log it uses a belt. the two front pulleys. in the picture it is missing a belt. when i bought it (used) it came with a green type power belt that you would find on a lawn tractor. when i went to replace the belt the man at the power equipment shop said the red type of power belt is stronger, so i bought it. a few.
now the problem. i keep snapping the belt. yes i am making it do a bigger logs than it suppose to but i don't really know because i have no paper work for this splitter. so i am seeing if any of you guys have ever seen this splitter and do you know anybody that might have any specs on it.
last week i put on a new belt. i was splitting fresh cut red oak. the logs were cut 14 to 16 inches.
it goes thru that no problem. when i thru on the 22 inch log it went thru but it didn't like it. that's where i start abusing the belt. or on twisted grain. the logs were 18 to 20 inch around.
anyway i hope someone out here can can help me with 2 things.
the specs on the unit and is there a blt or something like a belt that i could use for severe duty.
it might take a few posts for the pictures

Attachments

• DSC028941.JPG
    DSC028941.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 380
2nd shot. btw. this splitter will split a 26 inch log.

Attachments

• DSC028911.JPG
    DSC028911.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 387
3rd shot

Attachments

• DSC028931.JPG
    DSC028931.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 371
4th and finale shot.

Attachments

• DSC028921.JPG
    DSC028921.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 376
Try removing the belt on the rear pulley and put one on the upper and lower small/tight enough that you will have to spoon on like a tire on a rim. (Maybe you can't though if the pulley is broken.)

I wouldn't know of a stronger belt than what you are using now. Unless there is enough room to double the front pulleys.

I'm guessing you need to keep the screw well lubed?

Steve

i thought about putting on two belts but there is not much shaft. what i got there now requires more shaft than i have. the motor runs into a gear down drive and there is not much pulley coming out of the gear drive. i also thought about getting a wider belt. not sure what the biggest i can get and still be 1: not a special order 2: within a reasonable price. can't put a belt instead of the wheel on the back because, if you look at one of the pictures there is a pipe with a grip on it between the anvil and the motor. how this splitter works is the motor get moved from one side or the other. pick the handle up the wheel and pulley meet and it reverses the anvil. push down on that same handle and the belt tightens up and the anvil gets driven towards the wedge. the reverse speed from the wedge to back at the motor is about 5 to 6 seconds all 26 inches. this splitter works well when it works. i'm thinking if i have to change pulleys to accommodate a new size belt i might also make the small pulley next size smaller to have it do the job easier. the only thing is i don't know how much torque the screw that runs under the beam will take.

I see what you mean. About the belt on the back, I was thinking of two belts, one on each pulley, upper and lower. They would need to be small enough that you would need to spoon them on like a tire on a rim. I was thinking the two rear pulleys ARE pulleys and spooning the belt on each would effectively make them rubber faced, so when you brought the pulleys together against each other, it would run in reverse.

I'm sorry if I may still be missing something. Are you saying the rear pulleys are not vee pulleys? If not, I don't know what would have been on there. I do understand how it is supposed to work.

About the front pulleys, I agree, you don't really have enough shaft there. I should have looked closer.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.