Does anyone know what this is?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arithian

Sep 24, 2008
NE PA
I tried asking in the pellet forum, but no one there recognizes this type of piping and they suggested I try here. I bought a house last winter with a pre-existing flue system. I've been looking all over the net, but can't find anything that looks like this. The inner pipe is 8", next 12", the biggest is 14". There is no insulation between pipes, just air space. I also haven't had any luck finding any markings or manufacturer on the pipe. I believe there was a wood stove hooked up to it before and I'm hoping to install a pellet stove this weekend. Just trying to find out if I can adapt to this piping or if I should line it. Thanks for the help.

*Note: The bright white in the picture is the cement wall inside my house that the flue is behind.

Attachments

• 100_2690 (WinCE).JPG
    100_2690 (WinCE).JPG
    7.5 KB · Views: 257
  • 100_2691 (WinCE).JPG
    100_2691 (WinCE).JPG
    7.2 KB · Views: 261
  • 100_2692 (WinCE).JPG
    100_2692 (WinCE).JPG
    8.9 KB · Views: 263
well, hate to say the obvious but, triple wall rigid pipe
great pipe for saftey reasons.. considering years ago when it was put in most installers probably told them it was overkill.... but considering what was probably burning at the other end, I'd be glad it was there.
I am unsure about pellet stove info.
I suppose you could, provided the pipe was fully inspected.. but I also think the pellet stove will not be a 8" stove collar.
your best bet may be to do it right.. new stove, new liner, no worries.

someone with more knowledge will be along.

As said above, its triple wall pipe (obvious). The big question is what type?? There was a lot of this used for weird applications. This stuff does NOT always meet codes for wood fired stoves. You would have to find out what "class" of pipe this is. For pellet application, I have no clue.

Someone may come along and pin it down. Hopefully.

Your welcome for the help that I obviously did not provide. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.