Does anyone out there refresh their lawn/garden tool handles?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fishingpol

Minister of Fire
Jul 13, 2010
Merrimack Valley, MA
I have doing a bit of yard work in the past week or so. Many of my shovels and picks have wood handles that have dried out and the wood grain is raised from being left out once in a while. I've been thinking of sanding down the grain and applying a few coats of linseed or danish oil to make them smooth again. Anyone out there have any tips? I don't want to coat them in polyurethane or spar varnish. I do like the workworn look to them, not the fresh off the rack look.

I've always used boiled linseed oil.

Thanks Rick. I have to try the search feature sometime. I have some danish oil I'll try. My boiled linseed finally dried up.

Mix the boiled linseed oil 50:50 with turpentine, to quicken the drying time.

Status
Not open for further replies.