Does anyone use an 8" Poly Brush to clean a 6" liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fire_man

Minister of Fire
Feb 6, 2009
North Eastern MA
I local Chimney guy told me he uses and recommends an 8" Poly brush for 6" SS round liners. He says it does a way better job than a 6" brush and is not hard when using the rods. Anybody else agree??

No i do not agree, I just bought and used a 6 inch poly brush in my 6 inch liner and it was hard as hell to push through 18 feet of liner to the point it got stuck in a bend, after some cuss words and pulling really hard i freed it up. I took the brush to the garage and trimmed up the brushes bristles. I went and swept my liner again and it was much easier to push and pull the brush through the liner. I didnt trim it too much because i wanted it to scrape the sides. The end result the liner was clean from top to bottom.

Reactions: tfdchief
I think you'd stand a real good chance of getting it stuck then you'd be screwed.

Reactions: tfdchief
I can't believe you could even get an 8 in poly brush down a 6 in chimney! I had to trim my 6 in to get it to reverse in my 6 in chimney. The first time I put it down the chimney I thought I was going to pull something lose getting it reversed to come back up. Buy the correct size for the chimney. It will do just fine.

Thanks, guys - that's enough to convince me. Maybe it depends on the brand - but after hearing those stories I'm gonna order the 6" brush. I'm trying to get away from my old 6" steel brush - it's hard to pull through the flue and with brand new pipe, I'd rather use Poly.

But I will really miss being able to clean a warm flue with the steel brush - I hear the Poly melts easily.

Not to hijack, but would tying a rope on the end and dropping it down as a "rescue" for a stuck brush / broken rod work? anyone else do this? I have a cleanout I can pull the rope from if needed. Doing my first sweep this week - 6" ss with 6" poly brush.

Not to hijack, but would tying a rope on the end and dropping it down as a "rescue" for a stuck brush / broken rod work? anyone else do this? I have a cleanout I can pull the rope from if needed. Doing my first sweep this week - 6" ss with 6" poly brush.
That would work but I wouldn't worry that much about it. If it is screwed on the rod tight, I am not sure how you would lose it.

Reactions: osagebow

That's exactly what I used to do with my steel brush. I never needed the rescue rope, but it was nice to know I had it.

Reactions: osagebow
Status
Not open for further replies.