Doesn't everyone scrounge like this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bugboy

Mar 5, 2007
north-central Kansas
Just some pics of my scrounging set-up. I'm cutting on the neighbors land across the road. Ya gotta love them Kansas farmers,,,, I asked about cutting wood and he said cut anything I want; anywhere I want. He has the whole section with a mile+ of creek with some thicker woodlots towards the south side. I've only checked out part of it but most of what I saw was hackberry, osage-orange and elm. I'm going to look around some this weekend to see what else he has.

After bucking, I put / roll the rounds in the loader and dump on trailer, then back trailer up to the splitter and stack in the 60' x 12' wood shed.

Attachments

• wood cutting 003 (600x800).jpg
    wood cutting 003 (600x800).jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 655
  • wood cutting 004 (600x800).jpg
    wood cutting 004 (600x800).jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 682
  • wood cutting 005 (600x800).jpg
    wood cutting 005 (600x800).jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 652
Never seen it but I think osage-orange is some really hard stuff. Good luck.

60’ x 12’ wood shed
How many years of wood burning do you get outa this size shed?
Will

I'll never know, I'm not man enough to fill it up! I think I could get 3 years out of one "bay" if I fill it pretty full and there are 6 bays,,,, so 15 to 20 years! I'm doing good to stay 2-3 years ahead.

Nice set up.
I don't see any snow, what gives, fall pictures? Heard lower 48 is getting hammered with the stuff.

Doesn’t everyone scrounge like this?

Not quite. Tractor is green, trailer is red, plenty of trees, and still gathering materiel for the shed. ;-)

Nice shed there. a lot larger than the one I'm scrounging material for.

WISHED. Nice, but that's not scrounging!

Wood shed!!!!! Man cave if you ask me....WOW! I would give my right arm for that property and wood shed. Nice setup man. Around here there not a lot of folks have stove wood for sale that is even close to what we burn...green....split wrong...you know how it is. I would utilize that space and make yourself some $$$$ if you had the time. Man.....I would love to have that space. I am on a postage stamp (1acre) in NJ. I only have room for three-four cords. I need to sell and get some land. One day..... :)

Most of my scrounging comes off lots the size of your wood shed :lol:

Bugboy, that sounds really nice! Lots of wood and close to home. I'd make sure neighbor gets a special treat every now and then.

Mike821 said:
Wood shed!!!!! Man cave if you ask me....WOW! I would give my right arm for that property and wood shed. Nice setup man. Around here there not a lot of folks have stove wood for sale that is even close to what we burn...green....split wrong...you know how it is. I would utilize that space and make yourself some $$$$ if you had the time. Man.....I would love to have that space. I am on a postage stamp (1acre) in NJ. I only have room for three-four cords. I need to sell and get some land. One day..... :)

No, this is the new man cave.

Attachments

• Shop and saw 032 (640x480).jpg
    Shop and saw 032 (640x480).jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 454
Mike821 said:
I am on a postage stamp (1acre) in NJ. I only have room for three-four cords.

Your house must be too big. I have nearly 10 cords on my 1/4 postage stamp (acre) in NY.

You guys out in the country don't know how good you have it with all that land around you. Some day...

Bugboy said:
Mike821 said:

No, this is the new man cave.

Nice...real nice. Now I am even more jellous. All you need is a deer head on the wall...LOL

Flatbedford said:
Mike821 said:
I am on a postage stamp (1acre) in NJ. I only have room for three-four cords.

Your house must be too big. I have nearly 10 cords on my 1/4 postage stamp (acre) in NY.

You guys out in the country don't know how good you have it with all that land around you. Some day...

1800 sq ft house....30X20 patio......20x20 kids swing/play area.....horshoe pits....10x20 shed....30x20 garden....16ft landscape trailer....and three cords of wood. Not counting the three that are currently on the patio. Not much room after that for my wood piles. I said to my wife that I want to line the fence in the backyard with wood. I figure I can get 10 cords that way. Well I got shot down as I figured. My only savior is my bothers land. He has 7 acers and I spoke to him today. He said that I have the back acre to go nuts.

Bugboy said:
Just some pics of my scrounging set-up. I'm cutting on the neighbors land across the road. Ya gotta love them Kansas farmers,,,, I asked about cutting wood and he said cut anything I want; anywhere I want. He has the whole section with a mile+ of creek with some thicker woodlots towards the south side. I've only checked out part of it but most of what I saw was hackberry, osage-orange and elm. I'm going to look around some this weekend to see what else he has.

After bucking, I put / roll the rounds in the loader and dump on trailer, then back trailer up to the splitter and stack in the 60' x 12' wood shed.

Very nice scrounging setup. :zip:

Zap

I didn't know there WERE any trees in Kansas.

QuadForLife said:
Never seen it but I think osage-orange is some really hard stuff. Good luck.

It's incredibly hard. Also known as "Bois d' arc" tree. The French trappers thus named the tree after seeing Indians use the wood to make their hunting bows.

Mike821 said:

Mike, most land goes for a lot less that a right arm. Life it too short to spend in New Jersey if you don't want to be there. Follow your dream, man, follow your dream.

Where would you bring up your family if you could live anywhere?

What would it take to make that happen?

What are you waiting for?

Same, but different.

Tractor is orange. Shed is attached to boiler room, but still imaginary.

And none of my stairs deadend :lol:

Now man up and fill that shed. Daylight'sa wastin'

not exactly. My tractor is red. my trailer is borrowed, I have to drive 2 1/2 miles to my wood lot. My spliter is hand powered and my imaginary wood shed is attached to the real boiler shed.
But I do have a nice heated man cave.

Status
Not open for further replies.