Dogs and Stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dorkweed

Any special precautions y'all do??? I'm a 2 Lab guy, and their tails can do a number on things. Just thinking out loud here!!! Thanks!!

Get a dog without a tail, Springers are great. I doubt you'll have a problem since they will feel the heat. I do have a friend in AK that has a Collie that caught his tail on fire because he stood too close.

fv

My dog pretty much self-regulates. Too cold: moves closer to the stove. Too hot: moves away from the stove.
Runs back and forth from the wood pile to the stove when I reload. Watches me watch the stove until the temps
stabilize. Goes back to sleep.

If it is a Boxer then I would worry! As smart as they are, they are also dumb as hell!

My white boxer one time was LICKING a hot iron! It had cooled down some but it was still quite hot. I heard her as I was walking up the steps sorta whining. I looked around the corner because the iron was on the floor and the dump a@# was licking the iron....... I stopped her imediately but you would think she wouldn't need me to stop her. Beautiful, smart, funny and just a clown of an animal!

Get used to the smell of singed hair. Ours used to wag into the DV stove all the time.

My Newfs (see avatar) are figuring it out. One of them just mugged me while I was sitting directly in front of the stove watching the pretty flames...I figure he only has to bump the front of the stove once to get the message...the other one, maybe twice...lol.

Jack Russell (her name is Mindy). No tail to worry about, and she's psychotic (terrier, go figure), you could probably throw her in the stove and it wouldn't even phase her....lol....seriously, she's a heat hog. You have to physically pick her up and move her off of the hearth sometimes to reload......

Scotty Overkill said:
Jack Russell (her name is Mindy). No tail to worry about, and she's psychotic (terrier, go figure), you could probably throw her in the stove and it wouldn't even phase her....lol....seriously, she's a heat hog. You have to physically pick her up and move her off of the hearth sometimes to reload......

You mean "Jack Russell Terror"!!!! My cousin has one, and I hate her!!!!

So y'all don't do anything special to quarden off the area about the stove then??!!! IOW, they figure it out for themselves!!

The big dogs are too lazy to step up on the hearth. The little dog is too short to hurt himself. He isn't any taller than the pedestal.

LABS...oh your in trouble!

I am on my fourth black lab in my life and this one is...well lets just say Special. I am pretty sure he was in the chow line when his brothers and sisters were in the line to get their brains :)
He is 5 years old and still does not act a day over 1 year but is just a lot bigger.

Seein's how this has turned into more of a dog thread than a stove thread, I'm scootin' it over into the Inglenook. Keep calm & carry on. Over and out.

blackdog1 said:

I am on my fourth black lab in my life and this one is...well lets just say Special. I am pretty sure he was in the chow line when his brothers and sisters were in the line to get their brains :)
He is 5 years old and still does not act a day over 1 year but is just a lot bigger.

I don't think so. My Labs are working/hunting dogs. I train with them more than several times a week. They're really pretty mellow around the house. I just thought I'd ask about possible problems with them around the future stove...............dogs being curious, wood munchers, heat seekers etc. Thanks.

dorkweed said:
blackdog1 said:

I don't think so. My Labs are working/hunting dogs. I train with them more than several times a week. They're really pretty mellow around the house. I just thought I'd ask about possible problems with them around the future stove...............dogs being curious, wood munchers, heat seekers etc. Thanks.

I too have a lab, incredibly smart dogs.. Mine opens and closes doors, will hand me things I drop and can track a deer regardless of how far it makes it.. She doesn't like the stove, she gets too hot. She WILL wag her tail into it from time to time but has yet to cause an issue. She did once use the tail to knock over a Jack and Coke (she will do that to get to help "clean up") and some of it splashed onto the stove, it cause no long term ill effects..

Jason

jtb51b said:
dorkweed said:
blackdog1 said:

I too have a lab, incredibly smart dogs.. Mine opens and closes doors, will hand me things I drop and can track a deer regardless of how far it makes it.. She doesn't like the stove, she gets too hot. She WILL wag her tail into it from time to time but has yet to cause an issue. She did once use the tail to knock over a Jack and Coke (she will do that to get to help "clean up") and some of it splashed onto the stove, it cause no long term ill effects..

Jason

Lol...our old lab mix got her name in a similar manner. A friend's GF at the time was driving with her mom and they saw someone slow down (not stop, slow down) and dump a puppy. So they picked her up and took her to his house since they had an apartment that didnt allow dogs. Puppy runs in the house, knocks over a Pepsi and drinks it. Her name was Pepsi. She was the one that wagged into the gas stove-she also leaned on it from time to time (while it was hot). She's been gone a few years now so no experiance with her and the woodstove.

Our current dog is weird about the wood. She goes for pine specifically or driftwood sticks. When we brought home a batch of fatwod she went bezerk barking at it with her whole hackles (full mohawk) raised. Most splits she ignores, couldn't care less about the eco bricks or wood chips. Doesn't really like the stove, it's too hot for her.

fireview2788 said:
I do have a friend in AK that has a Collie that caught his tail on fire because he stood too close.

fv

Mine has singed his a couple of times. We smell it before he notices.

We have a Newfie, 3 labs, and a Dachshund. The only one I think might have a problem with the stove is the puppy (uh, 15 months old at the moment). She likes to sniff it (she sniffs EVERYTHING), and she'll try to stick her nose into the ash hod when I clean out the stove.
Used to have a Dachshund that slept under the stove. She'd get a bit warm, but never too hot and she loved it.
These guys pretty much just ignore it.

I fell in a bonfire once and ended up in a burn ward for a while.

I'm not sure if its related but one of our German Shepherds frequently tries to wedge himself between me and the wood stove. That's the only time he gets near the stove.

My St. Bernard won't even go downstairs where the stove is becasue it is to hot for him. He prefer to lay on the deck when it is 15 degrees out and sleep.

Not a dog . . . but a tail (spelled wrong intentionally) of two cats.

One cat loves hanging out on the hearth and uses the hearth as a pillow -- Jackson.

Truman on the other hand, our Manx/Maine coon cat mix, does not like the heat and is frequently walking away from the woodstove . . . oftentimes sleeping in an adjoining room or getting up close to the window on the far side of the room to cool down.

Status
Not open for further replies.