Dollar Bill Test

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GrahamInVa

Minister of Fire
Jun 14, 2011
Eastern, Virginia
I was cleaning my stove today and decided to take a closer look at my door and how well it is sealed up.

I had read about the dollar bill test. So I checked it out.

Question: Should I be able to pull the dollar out?

About 1/4 of the seal there is little resistance, 1/2 had a little more resistance, and the other 1/4 I can't pull it out.

My stove is brand new and the seal looks new.

I checked to see if my door is adjustable but it is not

The stove has been burning fine. Not much to compare it to since I am new but no black buildup or lazy flame.

Ideas?

IMO your stove is fine. As long as it's burning well and relatively new I wouldn't worry about it. The gasket sounds fine, from what you posted.

As long as there is some resistance, then you should be fine.

Most stoves have some sort of adjustment though. Be it the hinges or the actual latch itself. Both of my Englanders (wood and pellet) dont have any adjustment either. Just push on the handle to make it tight. I would think the design would be different with the new generation of stoves..

If its burning good, with no lazy flame and your ash is not "black". Then I wouldnt worry to much about it.

Hello

This is what my Avalon Pellet Stove maintenance Manual states. So this is what the Manufacturer expects!

Door Seal: Yearly

WARNING: Make sure the heater has fully cooled (approximately 25 minutes) before opening the door and conducting service.

Air leaks into the firebox will decrease the stove’s performance greatly, leading to excessive sooting, inefficient burning, and perhaps a malfunction.
The door gasket must contact the entire perimeter of the door and create an air-tight seal. To verify this, open the door, hold a dollar bill against the body of the heater, close the door, and secure the latch. The dollar bill should be held firmly in place (check the entire perimeter of the door. If it is loose or falls out, the door must be adjusted

Attachments

• DollarBillDoorSealTest.jpg
    DollarBillDoorSealTest.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 459
I went to do the dollar test, but after Ther Rock Obama gave all my money to the Auto Corps, Banks and people who are not willing to work for a living, all I had left was some hope and a little change. Cant seem to slide this dime through the gasket....must be sealed ok!

I told Obama I'd keep my guns and money and he could keep the hope and change!!!

I have changed . . . I have no hope anymore.

Well, that's why we have elections every 4 years, and it can't come quick enough for me! Trow da bums out!!!

I did the dollar bill test the other night at the gentlemens club.

worked well, so I did it some more.

Status
Not open for further replies.