Dolmar 7900 with 20 inch bar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shipper50

Minister of Fire
Nov 10, 2007
Indiana
I just ordered a new Carlton 20 inch bar and chain combo from Baileys for my Dolmar 7900 and wondered what differences I will see over my Oregon 24 inch bar and chain.

My buddy says he likes the 20 inch bar so he keeps the nose out of the dirt compared to a 24.

Thanks for any responses.

Shipper

I've been thinking about doing the same thing since their catalog came. Probably better decide soon before they are all gone.

Shipper50 said:
I just ordered a new Carlton 20 inch bar and chain combo from Baileys for my Dolmar 7900 and wondered what differences I will see over my Oregon 24 inch bar and chain.

My buddy says he likes the 20 inch bar so he keeps the nose out of the dirt compared to a 24.

Shipper

Frankly, 20" is a little too much bar for the 7900. 16" is standard and a lot of got prefer 12"-14" bars.

wendell said:
I've been thinking about doing the same thing since their catalog came. Probably better decide soon before they are all gone.
I ordered the chain and bar combo and 2 other loops of the same chain today, with shipping it came to $72.05 to me. Not bad I guess, the reason I bought the 20 was, I don't really cut big trees with my 7900.

Shipper

Bigg_Redd said:
Shipper50 said:

Shipper

Frankly, 20" is a little too much bar for the 7900. 16" is standard and a lot of got prefer 12"-14" bars.
LOL

You never miss an opportunity to denigrate Dolmar do you? I'm curious what ever happened for you to have such a hate on for Dolmar. Did your mother run away with a Dolmar salesman?

LLigetfa said:
You never miss an opportunity to denigrate Dolmar do you? I'm curious what ever happened for you to have such a hate on for Dolmar. Did your mother run away with a Dolmar salesman?

And, he had a Cat stove and a 1/2 ton pick-up! :lol:

It'll way easier using the 20" chain...on 18" trees or less.

Shipper I have a 24" saw and to keep the tip out of the dirt I take a knee to the ground when I'm cutting...that also keeps my back straight which is important to me. I do a lot of tip cutting of branches and like the 24" bar cause I have a move...hard to describe, where I can keep my back straight and cut those limbs up with little effort. I do the same thing with my 20" saw too and I use that more often. Unless the you really need the 24" bar it can be over kill on smaller trees. I think you'll appreciate the 20" more...way less taxing on the body.

Mostly though keep an eye on the kerf cut...soon as you see it closing remove the saw. Cause once it pinches it'll nose the saw into the dirt. There's no dishonor in making 5, 8 or 10 half cuts then rolling the log over to finish. With a sharp saw you can make excellent production in an hour.

If you're going to run a 20" bar on the 7900, I'd suggest throwing an 8 pin on as well. That and some square ground chain and she really rips through some wood!

Status
Not open for further replies.