Don't be afraid to ask for free wood from a tree service and you might get a load like this!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fire_man

Minister of Fire
Feb 6, 2009
North Eastern MA
I could hear chainsaws from my yard so I investigated and a tree service was dropping Red Oak and Beech two houses down. I asked if the fallen trees had a home, the lead guy called his boss and the answer was "where do you want them?". So the moral of the story is "Don't be afraid to ask, all they can say is no!" Another load may be on the way tomorrow if I'm lucky!

Attachments

• logs5_11_0834web.jpg
    logs5_11_0834web.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 1,313
Awesome!

Nice score !!!!!!!

Shawn

SWEET!

fv

Great score! Never hurts to be polite & ask.Worst than can happen is they say 'No'. Or you could start the beginning of a never ending supply....

Nice! Great size to handle too. 6' from the stacks and you get to cut it to the size you want. Hard to beat that.

The only disappointment is the left front outrigger did some driveway damage. Forgot to put boards down. Fortunately its nice and hot so some asphalt patch should fix it up. Next time I'll know better. I've had bigger truck loads, never any damage. bummer.

fire_man said:
The only disappointment is the left front outrigger did some driveway damage. Forgot to put boards down. Fortunately its nice and hot so some asphalt patch should fix it up. Next time I'll know better. I've had bigger truck loads, never any damage. bummer.
Once again, free wood is not free!

Real nice score! I have so many wood burners around me that this kind of load would never leave the home owners property! Now if I lived a little south I could probably score loads like that on a pretty regular basis.

Bummer on the drive but no big deal, asphalt can be patched rather easily. On hot days my dads drive will do the same thing if he forgets to drop some boards before jacking up a car or when we put the jacks down to level our trailer.

Niiice!

You might want to drop off some beverages, and/or pizza for the guys if you see them around. If you treat them right they most likely will show up someday when they are back in the area with more free wood to return the kindness.

Good luck!

I guess that when you took the pic, the guy that was splitting and stacking it was taking a break. He does nice work. Pizza and beverages for him, for sure. ;)

Sometimes I think you guys are just pulling peoples legs..

this stuff don't really happen.

mecreature said:
Sometimes I think you guys are just pulling peoples legs..

this stuff don't really happen.

Does too! :coolsmile:

Attachments

• DSCN1109.jpg
    DSCN1109.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 930
  • DSCN1207.jpg
    DSCN1207.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 938
Good deal . . . I ended up with some oak two years ago. I can't wait to try it out since it should be among the densest wood I'll have burned so far . . . this will not happen however until 2012-2013 as I am just putting it into the woodshed now for use in two more years.

Tony that is fantastic! Now you will really be able to compare oak and beech with cottonwood. I'd suggest you keep the wood separated though as the beech will be ready to burn much sooner than the oak.

Cool That's a real score! At lest it was asphalt not concrete.

Billy

Some guys get all the luck. Most tree services around here keep all the good stuff and sell their own firewood.

gzecc said:
fire_man said:
Once again, free wood is not free!

True, but I would have felt even worse if he wrecked the driveway AND charged for the load!

Nice score ! Lucky you didn't have to take any bad with the good. I have a friend that used to get wood from a tree service. They brought him some good wood ,but also a lot of crap wood that was punky and or to big to handle without huge equipment. He had a nice mess after a couple years.

This was all Beech and Oak, so no complaints. My last Grapple load (which I paid for) contained a 4 foot diameter cottonwood tree. Not only is it considered crap wood (although It has worked really well in shoulder season), but they dropped two pieces of the huge trunk side by side so I had a hell of a time cutting around the logs. I ended up using car jacks, chains, my truck, my 12 year old kid and the dog to move that thing so I could cut around it.

That Cotton wood tree took me twice as long to cut and split for half the BTU's and I paid for it. The picture with my kid is the cottonwood from hell.
This newer load is a dream load.

Attachments

• try2.jpg
    try2.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 406
rdust said:
Real nice score! I have so many wood burners around me that this kind of load would never leave the home owners property!

First off, great score. Red oak & beech...that's primo wood. Next, scrounging near me is almost a combat sport. they did some land clearing a couple miles away and the crew spray painted "NO" on the logs to ward off scroungers. I'm fortunate to have a heavy duty truck and trailer to pcik up wood from further away. Near my house, people scrounge toothpicks. OK, a bit of an exaggeration, but you get the idea...

Nice picture of TJ there Tony. He should be a big help to you now. Tell the lad we said, "Hi."

fire_man said:
I could hear chainsaws from my yard so I investigated and a tree service was dropping Red Oak and Beech two houses down. I asked if the fallen trees had a home, the lead guy called his boss and the answer was "where do you want them?". So the moral of the story is "Don't be afraid to ask, all they can say is no!" Another load may be on the way tomorrow if I'm lucky!

Huge Score, you should go to church on Sunday. :zip:

Zap

Dennis:

You're right, I will be able to compare some majorly different wood types now. I have learned that different woods types are all useful depending on the type of fire you need.

Oak: Great overnight wood when it's 10 degrees out.
Soft Maple: Shoulder season and warmer Winter days.
Cottonwood: Great for stretch fires and to take the chill out of warmer shoulder season days.
Beech and Ash seem to be good all around wood, not as good as oak for the really cold nights.

TJ got a big raise to his allowance, that kid can stack wood faster than me! Both of us say "Hi" to you and Judy - hope that hip is all better!

zapny said:
fire_man said:

Huge Score, you should go to church on Sunday. :zip:
Zap

The Good Man up there has definitely shined down on me - last Summer my neighbor called and begged me to take about 3 cord of Beech and Birch that a tree service had dropped and cut to 16" lengths.God knows why the tree service left them, I think they meant to take the wood but got busy on another job. The wood sat there for a month.

I came to his rescue and did the neighborly thing to clear away those nasty rounds. I saved him a disposal fee and I got some great wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.