Door gasket help for older Mt. Vernon stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

debasker

Sep 25, 2011
Upstate NY
I feel pretty ditsy asking this, but I took the old gasket off, cleaned up the door and got a new one, and now I can't quite remember if the tadpole gasket goes around the top and the sides, or the bottom and the sides! Help!

Thanks (-:

Do a search. I believe its the bottom thats missing. But need a for sure answer from a Mt. Vernon owner. Do you have your owners manual. They are easily found online in PDF form.

Thanks. I have a feeling you are right, but I'm just not sure....I did do a search, but didn't come up with anything, and I do have my manual, but it's not all that informative... it doesn't even mention gaskets anywhere.... which is why I landed here (-: If I don't get an answer today, I will have to call the store tomorrow, but it's a Sunday, and I was getting frustrated...

I would wait for a definitive answer or call the shop tomorrow. I remember a thread where a guy sealed the entire door, in an attempt to get more heat. This is not a good idea to do. But I thought that owners told him it should be gasketless on the bottom. My Quad has it missing on the top of the door glass gaskets. Much different than yours. So no comparison. Sorry.

The gasket goes on the top and both sides, at least mine did. the flat part wraps around the glass to cushion and seal it

it varies by year. sometimes they had the gap on top sometimes on bottom. might want to call them

Status
Not open for further replies.