Door Gaskets Harman P43

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kilogulf59

Dec 17, 2017
Juneau County WI
After researching my lazy burn problems, and looking at and testing my door gaskets, I'm positive they need replacing. Heck, the stove's going into it's tenth season and runs an average of 4.5-months per season. Any-who, is there a preferred gasket/sealant to use or place to purchase from? Prices, reviews, and ratings vary so much I am baffled. I know with igniters, it doesn't seem to matter. Cheap or expensive, I'm averaging about 3-years per unit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I’ve had great success with these guys

Reactions: SidecarFlip
Whatever you get, be double sure you remove ALL traces of old gaskets and adhesive before you apply new adhesive and the gasket. Soon as you apply the gasket, close the door and let it sit for a day or fire the stove on low and allow the adhesive to cure.

I would (if I were you) remove the door (should lift off the pins) and remove-replace the gasket on a work bench., not on the stove. Easiest way to remove ALL the old adhesive is with a small wire wheel chucked in a drill motor (wear safety glasses). Start the gasket in on the SIDE of the door channel and end there and trim to length with sharp shears and don't stretch it when putting it in. , just push it into the adhesive, no pull, no stretch, the gasket will come longer than required.

Alternatively, TSC carries Rutland door gasket kits in various diameters. Save yourself the ship cost and get it right away.

Reactions: kilogulf59
Thanks very much for the advice and tips, SidecarFlip. BTW, TSC has the same kit I was going to get but $4 cheaper. Actually, kits. I need one for the ash pan door as well, so that's an $8 savings.

Rutland makes a lot of accessories and TSC usually has them all. Just make sure you get the correct diameter rope gasket. Seems like to only NOS stuff is HT paint, bet then paint in general seems to be unobtanium lately. The only thing you cannot get will be the glass gasket which really never needs replaced unless you crack the view glass. That has to come from a stove retailer, online or in a store. Been there and did that in the past (cracked the glass. It's a special high temperature glass, regular glass won't withstand the thermal shock.

Lots of knowledge on here as we all participate in the same thing.. Being frugal and using alternative energy sources. One thing about heating with pellets and/or corn is it's 'carbon neutral' whatever that means. I don't much care. I'm all bout cheap heat and today with rising energy costs, it's even better. Only a select few of us that roast field corn but the principles of operation remain the same no matter what you put in the hopper...

Welcome to the forum (belated) and if you have any questions or concerns, post them. You'll get answers.

Thanks.

We've in central Wisconsin and live rural (originally from Chicago). I/we believe in having more than one heat source. We have the gas forced air furnace, the pellet stove downstairs (which provides or main source of heat), and a fireplace. We've lived through a lot, in both locations, and like to be somewhat prepared, all the way around.

I'd say getting out of Cook County was a very smart move. My cousin is in New Lennox and has an office in downtown Chicago. He's in the IT business (he manages this computer and my wife's as well). I get to hear stories about Chicago all the time. He has a concealed carry permit and it took him almost a year and a lot of wrangling to get it. Been invited a number of times to hunt on the Joilet Army range and I've always passed. Just getting near Chicagoland gives me the willies. We pass through there often on going out west to hunt. I have, in the past, dropped down to US 30 and bypassed Chicago entirely,

I have a P-43 and from everything I read, it takes a ⅜-inch gasket on both doors. Thanks, again, for the info and tips. Believe me, it is very much appreciated. All you folks on this forum are great. I learned everything about my stove here.
I don't know about the size ( diameter of the gasket but I bet someone here does.