Door Threshold Gap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic99

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2006
MA, Suburb of Lowell
Installed a door on an uneven floor. Stagger-shimmed it with thumb-sized pieces of luan every ~8 inches. Thus, stack of 2 luan pieces, 8 inch gap, 3 luan, 8 inches etc. from left to right when facing the door's metal threshold.

I was thinking of filling the remaining spaces with a ton of caulk and then run a smooth bead across the front for a finished look.

Will the caulk crack/break when someone steps on the threshold? Minimal expanding foam with a bead of caulk in front better? Other suggestions? Thanks.

I don't think a huge pile of caulk will dry....I tried that once. I would go with the foam.

Vic99 said:
Will try foam on the morrow. Maybe a bead of caulk finish.

I think I'd cut a shim to fit from a piece of pine and put caulk behind it. It would look good forever and be sealed too.

Status
Not open for further replies.