DOT and cellphone usage?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary_602z

Minister of Fire
Oct 30, 2009
Lake Odessa,MI
Anybody know the real scoop on this? I have heard up to 2500.00 fine for the driver and up to 20k fine for the company! This is on all vehicles that are required to have DOT#s!
Yes some of you wood haulers could fall into this category!

I haven't went to the DOT site yet,but we have also not been notified by the DOT yet!

Gary

Don't have the info in front of me. But yes it's in effect. If your caught 2 times in 3 yrs, 60 days suspension. 3 times in 2 yrs, 120 days. Plus fines. And yes, the carrier will get fined $10,000, or up to that amount. i know my figures might be off, but it's in the ballpark.

Yep, I believe personal vehicles will be next .
In cab video will be mandatory by '15 . Trucking rates are going to soar. Not only because of the added expense but added regulation will snuff out new entries into the game , eliminating competition .

Talking on a cell phone by long haul truckers has actually shown to be protective. At least if they're talking on the phone you know they're awake.
Its the dialing and texting that's really dangerous because it takes a driver's eyes off the road.

It would be nice to see the police obey the same rules that they enforce. If that happens, world peace will be next..

We have a state law that forbids driving while on a cell phone. Whatever, it is too difficult to enforce so it is not enforced.

Its interesting, in areas where they've outlawed texting crash rates have gone up. It seems that drivers hold the phones down in their laps while texting so the cops can't see. Before they held them up so they could see forward at the same time.
Looking down is bad when driving.

Highbeam said:
We have a state law that forbids driving while on a cell phone. Whatever, it is too difficult to enforce so it is not enforced.

I got pulled over in CT for talking on my cell phone back in 2009. Fought it. I had to show the judge a receipt for a hands free device and he dismissed the charges. I think it was like a $125 ticket if I remember correctly.

I work in the street every day, most of the people who almost run me over are talking on the phone. The rest are either chinese, indian, or old. Nothing against people from China or India, it's just that some of them never drove before, and it shows.

It's the conversation thats distracting. Not the fact you're holding the phone. When the whole hands free argument started to take shape, it was not the phone that was the problem. Talking on a phone is a very personal conversation. Our minds are elsewhere. Talking on a 2-way radio is altogether different conversation.

now texting? Thats a whole other distraction. Not a good thing to do.

burnham said:
The rest are either chinese, indian, or old. Nothing against people from China or India, it's just that some of them never drove before, and it shows.

Ah. So it just the old ones... :lol:

As a former long haul trucker and later the manager of a trucking company I fully support banning hand held phone usage behind the wheel. In trucks and cars both.

Flame away. Plenty of numbers involving truck accidents while reaching for or dialing one of the damn things.

BrotherBart said:
As a former long haul trucker and later the manager of a trucking company I fully support banning hand held phone usage behind the wheel. In trucks and cars both.

Flame away. Plenty of numbers involving truck accidents while reaching for or dialing one of the damn things.

Agree with you there BB,But make it for ALL drivers and with that kind of fines for everybody! Talk about a uprising!

Gary

BrotherBart said:

Hand held phone usage? IMO shouldn't use them hands free or hand held. It's the conversation......

BrotherBart said:
burnham said:
The rest are either chinese, indian, or old. Nothing against people from China or India, it's just that some of them never drove before, and it shows.

Ah. So it just the old ones... :lol:

haha....nope, they are the only ones who have a decent excuse.

I'd be OK with banning all hand held phone use in cars and trucks. We made due just fine before cell phones came along, we'll be alright without them (again) behind the wheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.