Double Sided won't stay lit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RickScully

Dec 4, 2010
Chicago
Hello all.
I have a brick fireplace located in middle of a room with two mantles and openings - screen doors only on each side, no glass.

It has a gas starter that fires up the wood nice and quickly.
However, if I turn off the gas after what seems to be a roaring fire, the entire flam quickly goes out.

Could it be that the two openings are not providing enough draft to keep fire going?
if so, could this be fixed by installing glass to at least one side?

Thanks!

my email is [email protected]

the chimney stack extends from first floor through second floor and up to roof - 40 feet?
wood is quality, very dry, normal 6 inches by 18 inches.

does it make a differece if you open up a window? have you added any new fan in the house? If opening tha window makes a difference than you might have a ned draft issue.

First, check and make sure that was not originally a gas fireplace, that someone decided to burn wood in.
Second, it will never stay lit or draft worth a crap without at least one side having doors, whether glass or steel to close that one side.
Make sure it is meant for burning wood in. Is the stack stainless steel or galvanized?

Good points. I would add: Third. Make sure the wood is really dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.