Double Stihl's warranty?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andyrlee

Oct 19, 2009
Northern WI
I bought the Stihl MS 361 the other day with my Master Card because I heard a rumor that if the manufactures warranty is less than two years to begin with they will double it if your card has that benifit.

I called my card Chase Freedom card and they did confirm that it was true.

I had the cash but didn't seem to matter for negotiation purposes, so out came the Master card.

So now I have a two year warranty (I hope) not that I would need it with a Stihl!

Check with your credit card provider to confirm there is that benefit.

Thats cool you just never know and its free good deal.

Not sure if it is the same in the USA or not, but here in Canada if you buy some Stihl oil when you buy the product (CS, blower, trimmer) they double your warranty automatically. Kinda of a scam really, when you buy good quality OPE (and look after it) I see no reason that anything would go wrong with it within the first 2 years. My opinion is that if it going to break because of a manufacturing defect (the only thing covered under warranty), it will most likely break right away.

smokinjay said:

There's nothing "free" about it, not one blessed thing.

Kong said:
smokinjay said:

lol You having a bad Tuesday or just don't like the credit car thing.

smokinjay said:
Kong said:
smokinjay said:

No - just the facts... The TANSTAAFL* law applies in the credit card business same as it does anywhere else - if they are giving the warranty boost away for "free" they figure they are getting their money back on the deal some other way, either out of the rates they charge the merchants (which show up in the prices you pay) or in the interest payments they hit you with if you don't pay off in full, every month... The card co's want you to charge as much as possible, not just because it increases their hit on the merchants, but because it increases the odds that you won't be able to make the full monthly payment, and they get another bite on the other end...

Big thing is to remember TANSTAAFL any time you see "FREE" and figure out where the payment is really coming from, and if you aren't ending up paying more for the "free" thing in the long run... Of course the answer may well be that if you work the deal right, you might make out better, as some other shmuck gets hit with the costs, but it's worth considering...

(*TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
smokinjay said:
Kong said:
smokinjay said:

No - just the facts... The TANSTAAFL* law applies in the credit card business same as it does anywhere else - if they are giving the warranty boost away for "free" they figure they are getting their money back on the deal some other way, either out of the rates they charge the merchants (which show up in the prices you pay) or in the interest payments they hit you with if you don't pay off in full, every month... The card co's want you to charge as much as possible, not just because it increases their hit on the merchants, but because it increases the odds that you won't be able to make the full monthly payment, and they get another bite on the other end...

Big thing is to remember TANSTAAFL any time you see "FREE" and figure out where the payment is really coming from, and if you aren't ending up paying more for the "free" thing in the long run... Of course the answer may well be that if you work the deal right, you might make out better, as some other shmuck gets hit with the costs, but it's worth considering...

(*TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)

Gooserider

lol it is what it is

Status
Not open for further replies.