Double wall pipe into old single wall pipe question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

10-cc

Nov 28, 2008
St-Bruno, Quebec, Canada
Hi all,

I purchased a double wall setup: 2 x 45° elbows with a strait double telescopic extension. The female side of 45° elbow goes into the male side of the external T flange. However the double wall female elbow side is way too loose (6 1/2") for the male flange (6"). What can be done? I will go next week to the place I purchased the setup but I prefer to have some knowledge beforehand.

I will appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance.

Here is the flange:
flange.jpg
And the Elbow:
elbow.jpg

Looks like an adapter is missing. What type pipe is this? Duravent?

it say on the sticker: ICC INDUSTRIAL CHIMNEY COMPANY INC.
ST-JEROME, QUEBEC, CANADA

STICKER.jpg

Is ICC (Excel) pipe what is used for the thimble and exterior pipe? The system is designed for one brand of pipe, top to bottom. That's why the draw collar has a problem, especially with double-wall pipe.

Sorry I had made a mistake, the draw collar fits perfectly.

The ICC pipe is the ULTRABlack line, not the exterior excel chimney ( http://www.icc-rsf.com/en/icc/ultrablack-double-wall-stove-pipe ) It is only the flange collar of the A1 T that comes inside the house (From Security 2100) that is loose into the female double walled elbow. I think you’re right about needing an adaptor of some sort.

Thanks again.

What is the manufacturer of the class A, exterior piping? Is this Security? If so, there is a finishing cone. Then the interior connector should be with Security double-wall.

security.PNG

Thanks BGreen,
The problem is that I got two different companies (ICC and Security). I will ask the stove shop people and see what they recommend.

Thanks.

For a proper fit, it's recommended to stick with one companies piping system from connector to chimney, especially for double-wall.

Strange thing the person at the shop did not ask me what kind of setup I have and apparently the ICC brand is their mainstream. I had no clue I thought it is a standard as in single walled pipes. Hopefully I will not have to fight the return 300$ pieces I purchased from them as I bought the T6 from them and also the whole exterior Security setup, except the owner is not the same now.

Just got back from the Stove Shop, he got me a 5" extention so the double 45° elbow will perfectly fit in there. So it is all good now.

BGreen, FYI all double wall pipe are indeed compatible with each other, no matter from what company it is.

Thanks again.

Tried mating Simson DVL to Selkirk lately or vice versa? They are very different systems and adapters. Usually mixing brands also voids the piping warranty.

BGreen,
That was the answer of the people in the shop.

In my case, I tried to fit the double walled elbow directly into the Security Flange that comes out of the external T. The elbow did not have enough depth to accommodate the flange male, that is why it did not fit. Now with the 5"extension there is enough depth, so it fits .

Some adaptations are possible between certain brands, with the caveat mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.